Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scouting policy?

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    say if i asked a member or two from this site to help me work on a student project (not homework) would anyone have any objections?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you post in the homework forum, then we will be able to help. Please note, however, we cannot do your work for you, and you must show your efforts/thoughts before we can help.

Welcome to PF!

4. Jan 16, 2007 #3
    No, I can't see there being any objections (Although I can't really say, perhaps a moderator will be able to say for sure), but I am pretty sure it will be fine. Anyways, I am interested in what you have to say so hurry on to the homework help forum before I have to go! lol.

Edit, and yes, welcome to PF :-)

5. Jan 16, 2007 #4
    ok, as a side note what do members here do to protect against ip thieft?

6. Jan 16, 2007 #5
    IP theft? Could you elaborate?

I know what an IP address is, I know what theft is, but I don't see the connection when it comes to an online forum type enviroment.

7. Jan 16, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everything posted here should be considered in the public domain, unless it is already protected by a dated provisional patent application.

If you find someone on PF who wants to work with you on a project outside of PF, that obviously does not concern us. Just don't violate our guidelines while you're "scouting" -- in other words, don't ask people to do your homework for you, don't offer money, and don't use PF as a bulletin board to carry on private communications.

Of course, you'd also have to make sure you don't violate your school's honor code, and (normally) getting outside help is such a violation. If you get kicked out of school, though, it'll be no one's fault but your own.

- Warren

8. Jan 16, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IP = intellectual property?

9. Jan 16, 2007 #8
    *clicks on light_bulb's profile*

*See's "Creating thread "Chemical and Material Engineering" *

Yea... I won't be able to help. :(

Anyways, good luck with whatever it is you are doing, and I suggest you take Chroot's advice with the honor code issue if it applies. (I didn't think of it/know about it).

10. Jan 16, 2007 #9
    Oh, true enough. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?