Scram Jet Blimps: Reaching Space with Rigid Dirigibles and Scram Jets

• Thread starter Intuitive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet
In summary, a Diamond Dirigible or Rigid Blimp setup with Scrams Jets would not be sufficient to reach space. Scramjets operate at high supersonic or hypersonic speeds, while blimps/dirigbles are 'design' for low speeds because of their 'large' cross-sections (occupying large volumes of He or H2 which displaces an equal volume of air) and light structures. Hypersonic aircraft require high strength, but lightweight materials, with minimal cross-section.
Intuitive
Would a Rigid Dirigible or Rigid Blimp setup with Scrams Jets be sufficient to reach space?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In brief - NO! Scramjets operate at high supersonic or hypersonic speeds, while blimps/dirigbles are 'design' for low speeds because of their 'large' cross-sections (occupying large volumes of He or H2 which displaces an equal volume of air) and light structures. Hypersonic aircraft require high strength, but lightweight materials, with minimal cross-section.

Scram-blimps. I love it.

I want one! That's right up there with Hemi-powered roller skates and propellor beanies with tip-jets. I'd love to see the charts of flow dynamics for a blimp at transsonic speed.

Neither blimps nor jets will get you to space. Silly boy!

I wouldn't travel in such machine. It would be a flying bomb. Imagine a globe filled with H2 and a bow shock increasing the temperature 20 times around it...boooooommmm!

That reminds me of a skit I saw a stand up comedian do once...it was Top Gun for blimp pilots.

Anyone care to take the time to estimate the ram pressure rise at the stagnation point on the blimp going M4+?

FredGarvin said:
Top Gun for blimp pilots.
:rofl: That brought tears to my eyes. :rofl: :cry: :rofl:

Sorry, Bows Gracefully, Takes Evacuated Diamond Dirigible Ship with variable Scram Jets back off the drawing board for now.:bugeye:

Astronuc said:
:rofl: That brought tears to my eyes. :rofl: :cry: :rofl:
It did me too when I saw the act. It was very funny. Some of the visuals were priceless.

Happen to remember who it was, Fred? I wouldn't mind trying to find a clip. It must have been hilarious.
By the way, any chance that you'd care to build a model blimp and toss it into your wind tunnel at, say, .9 Mach? :devil:

Danger said:
Happen to remember who it was, Fred? I wouldn't mind trying to find a clip. It must have been hilarious.
By the way, any chance that you'd care to build a model blimp and toss it into your wind tunnel at, say, .9 Mach? :devil:

The original intention was a Diamond Dirigible from another post about bubble ships, The Hull being made of Diamond and assembled by nanobots molecule by molecule, The Diamond Dirigible would be evacuated by Magnetic Super Conductors, The Gas to evacuate would be Oxygen since Oxygen is the most Paramagnetic Gas and easly attracted to extremely power Magnetic systems, But, I think the future are the only ones who can touch this kind of technology of having Diamond Dirigibles.
I wouldn't see why a Diamond Dirigible couldn't touch Mach 10 if the Diamond Dirigible was built with the right aerodynamics and engines and proper volume displacement, The future may even discover material that far surpass that of even Diamond.

The original topic on Diamond Dirigibles is located here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91173

If you want you can read the entire thread completely to understand where the discussion was coming from.:bugeye:

Last edited:
And what exactly is your scramjet going to run on when it gets into space?

Well, the fact that the dirigible is based on nanotechnology that we have only begun to understand is one slight problem with the idea.

random thoughts
heat may help to lower the amount of gas needed
hot He not H like a hot air balloon but with He not air
once you get above 99% of the air
a rocket could get the beast the rest of the way into orbit
no need to go fast in the lower thick air
just use lift to get way up into the thin air higher part then
kick in the jets [simple lite pulse jets not ram] to get as high as the jets will work no need for real high speeds just get high up in the atmosphere with some speed
then go rocket for the final push into space
maybe leaving the gas bag as a launch vehical behind for reuse
along with empty fuel tanks jets ect
and only take a small craft into space
actual not as dumb as it seems
and a lot cheaper and safer then rockets from the ground

math problem how much Delta V do we need to get from the top bit
of our atmosphere into space vs a ground launch
and how much less fuel is used to gain speed in space vs inside the atmosphere

Last edited:

1. What is a Scram Jet Blimp?

A Scram Jet Blimp is a hybrid aircraft that combines elements of a traditional airship or blimp, such as a rigid frame, with a supersonic combustion ramjet (Scramjet) engine. It is designed to reach outer space and travel at hypersonic speeds.

2. How does a Scram Jet Blimp work?

The Scram Jet Blimp uses a combination of buoyancy from the helium-filled envelope and thrust from the Scramjet engine to reach high altitudes and hypersonic speeds. The Scramjet engine takes in oxygen from the atmosphere and mixes it with fuel to create combustion and thrust.

3. What are the advantages of using a Scram Jet Blimp over traditional rockets?

One of the main advantages is cost-efficiency. Traditional rockets require large amounts of fuel and resources to launch into space. Scram Jet Blimps, on the other hand, use atmospheric oxygen for combustion, reducing the amount of fuel needed. They also have the potential for reusable components, making them more cost-effective in the long run.

4. What are the challenges in developing and using Scram Jet Blimps?

One of the main challenges is the engineering and design of the rigid frame and envelope to withstand the extreme pressures and temperatures of hypersonic speeds and space travel. Another challenge is the development of efficient Scramjet engines that can operate at different altitudes and speeds. Safety and regulatory concerns also need to be addressed.

5. Can Scram Jet Blimps be used for commercial space travel?

While the technology is still in its early stages of development, there is potential for Scram Jet Blimps to be used for commercial space travel in the future. With its cost-efficiency and potentially reusable components, it could make space travel more accessible and affordable for the general public.