Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scram Jet Blimps

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    Would a Rigid Dirigible or Rigid Blimp setup with Scrams Jets be sufficient to reach space?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In brief - NO! Scramjets operate at high supersonic or hypersonic speeds, while blimps/dirigbles are 'design' for low speeds because of their 'large' cross-sections (occupying large volumes of He or H2 which displaces an equal volume of air) and light structures. Hypersonic aircraft require high strength, but lightweight materials, with minimal cross-section.

4. May 2, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Scram-blimps. I love it.

5. May 2, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I want one! That's right up there with Hemi-powered roller skates and propellor beanies with tip-jets. I'd love to see the charts of flow dynamics for a blimp at transsonic speed.

6. May 2, 2006 #5

berkeman

Neither blimps nor jets will get you to space. Silly boy!

7. May 2, 2006 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't travel in such machine. It would be a flying bomb. Imagine a globe filled with H2 and a bow shock increasing the temperature 20 times around it.....boooooommmm!!!

8. May 2, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That reminds me of a skit I saw a stand up comedian do once....it was Top Gun for blimp pilots.

Anyone care to take the time to estimate the ram pressure rise at the stagnation point on the blimp going M4+?

9. May 2, 2006 #8

Astronuc

:rofl: That brought tears to my eyes. :rofl: :cry: :rofl:

10. May 3, 2006 #9
    Sorry, Bows Gracefully, Takes Evacuated Diamond Dirigible Ship with variable Scram Jets back off the drawing board for now.:bugeye:

11. May 3, 2006 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It did me too when I saw the act. It was very funny. Some of the visuals were priceless.

12. May 3, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Happen to remember who it was, Fred? I wouldn't mind trying to find a clip. It must have been hilarious.
    By the way, any chance that you'd care to build a model blimp and toss it into your wind tunnel at, say, .9 Mach? :devil:

13. May 3, 2006 #12
    The original intention was a Diamond Dirigible from another post about bubble ships, The Hull being made of Diamond and assembled by nanobots molecule by molecule, The Diamond Dirigible would be evacuated by Magnetic Super Conductors, The Gas to evacuate would be Oxygen since Oxygen is the most Paramagnetic Gas and easly attracted to extremely power Magnetic systems, But, I think the future are the only ones who can touch this kind of technology of having Diamond Dirigibles.
    I wouldn't see why a Diamond Dirigible couldn't touch Mach 10 if the Diamond Dirigible was built with the right aerodynamics and engines and proper volume displacement, The future may even discover material that far surpass that of even Diamond.

The original topic on Diamond Dirigibles is located here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91173

If you want you can read the entire thread completely to understand where the discussion was coming from.:bugeye:

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  14. May 3, 2006 #13
    And what exactly is your scramjet going to run on when it gets into space?

15. May 3, 2006 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Well, the fact that the dirigible is based on nanotechnology that we have only begun to understand is one slight problem with the idea.

16. May 16, 2006 #15
    random thoughts
    heat may help to lower the amount of gas needed
    hot He not H like a hot air ballon but with He not air
    once you get above 99% of the air
    a rocket could get the beast the rest of the way into orbit
    no need to go fast in the lower thick air
    just use lift to get way up into the thin air higher part then
    kick in the jets [simple lite pulse jets not ram] to get as high as the jets will work no need for real high speeds just get high up in the atmosphere with some speed
    then go rocket for the final push into space
    maybe leaving the gas bag as a launch vehical behind for reuse
    along with empty fuel tanks jets ect
    and only take a small craft into space
    actual not as dumb as it seems
    and a lot cheaper and safer then rockets from the ground

math problem how much Delta V do we need to get from the top bit
    of our atmosphere in to space vs a ground launch
    and how much less fuel is used to gain speed in space vs inside the atmosphere

Last edited: May 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?