1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scrambler friction problems

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    we need to find the friction of our car after we launch it. it rolls to a stop at 10 meters.

initial velocity after it laucnhed is 1.25 m/s
    distance traveld 10m in 7s
    we need to find the friction and efficiency of the car
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2
    Use energies. The only non-preserving force that operates in the system is the friction, and its work is equal to the change of mechanical energy of the whole system:
    [tex]W_f = \Delta E_m = (\Delta E_k) + (\Delta E_p)[/tex]
    [tex]-fX = (0 - 0) + (0 - mgh) = -Mgh[/tex]
    Where M is the mass of the weight, and X is the total distance the car travels (1m + 10m), assuming there is also friction in the acceleration area (the 1m inside the structure). If there is no friction in that segment, then X is just 10m.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  4. Mar 30, 2004 #3
    we are only going to calculate the 10m after it launched. i plugged my numbers into the bottom equation as best as i could and got -.023*10 = (-.178*9.8*1) = 1.97 now im confused what 1.97 is
  5. Mar 31, 2004 #4
    Where did you come up with 0.023N as the friction force? I thought that's what you were going to find.
    [tex]-fX = -Mgh[/tex]
    [tex]f = \frac{Mgh}{x} = \frac{2kg10\frac{m}{s^2}1m}{10m}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?