Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scrap triffles

1. Jul 31, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Can any one come up with a use for scrap triffle? some times we have to skip upto 12,000 of the things.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2006 #2
    Uhh....mmmmm.......what is a scrap triffle?:confused:

4. Jul 31, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Jelly, sponge, custard and cream in a plastic pot :smile:

5. Jul 31, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad larkspur asked first. :biggrin:

Big triffle party for the whole neighborhood.

Let them dry up and harden and play hockey with them.

:uhh: That's all I've got. <---That's just for you and Chi Meson. :wink:

6. Jul 31, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

We used to give some to the sally ann, trouble is they have only 1 or 2 days life left.

7. Jul 31, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

WTH is this...?

8. Jul 31, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I have just thought of one use for them, stand still Yom.

9. Jul 31, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I didn't realize they'd still have a few days of being edible left, I thought you meant the bad batches that couldn't be eaten, or had already passed their expiration dates.

I'm sure stopping by a university with them would make a lot of students happy.

Bring in a bunch of artists and have them make sculptures from them...and then auction it off for charity (some other sucker can keep your waste triffles beautifully displayed in their home).

10. Jul 31, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

We have cheese cakes as well :smile:

11. Jul 31, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll be right over. :biggrin:

How about using them for skeet shooting? That extra jelly splatter has to be more realistic looking than clay pigeons. :devil:

12. Jul 31, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

And to think that I used to just love you for your body. :biggrin:

Woolie, you silly bastard... everybody knows what a trifle is. With your spelling, I thought that you were talking about one of John Wyndham's man-eating weeds. :tongue:

edit: Okay, I'm back. 'House' is on, so I can only type during commercials. Do you have any homeless shelters other than SA? Here, if you have a delivery system in place (such as volunteer drivers), there are thousands of people who need food every day. Calgary has just reached 1,000,000 residents, so I assume that London must have 10 times as many homeless. (Although I don't know if that's within your effective delivery range.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  13. Jul 31, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:blushing: :rofl:

OH! Trifles! I thought it was some other British word nobody this side of the "puddle" has ever heard of! :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest something like that, but then was wondering if it is really appropriate to be serving such a sweet dessert in homeless shelters or soup kitchens if there isn't yet enough nutritious food to go around for the main course? Somehow, that old MASH episode kept popping into mind...the one where Winchester gets a big box of chocolates for the kids in the orphanage for Christmas and is chastised for being so concerned about giving dessert to kids who have had no supper.

14. Jul 31, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I agree with the nutritional issues, Moonie, but any food is better than no food. Regardless of what it's made of, it's still fuel.

15. Jul 31, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

We used to have a (seconds shop) but no way could we sell this many
    to the local population, and to drive them any distance requires a refridgerated wagon, which costs to much.

Triffids to you Danger :tongue2:

16. Jul 31, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Woolie, I misunderstood. The concept of selling them didn't occurr to me. I thought that they were wasteage, which is given away free of charge here.

17. Aug 1, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

It would be hard on the company to give this much away, no one would buy them, so they end up in the skip, now if some charity could take them that would be fine, but how could they distribute them.

18. Aug 1, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know where your plant is, Woolie. I'd assumed that it was within or close to a city with high enough population to have everthing just delivered in vans or small lorries in a couple of hours.

19. Aug 1, 2006 #18
    send them to me, ill eat them, all of them

(if you dont believe me ill tel you what i just ate)

how much are you willing to sell them for

20. Aug 1, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

£50 a 1000 :smile:

21. Aug 1, 2006 #20
    il take em all

PM me for my address

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?