Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Screen Capture Need

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

OK. Here's a stupid little thing I need to do:

I need to capture my screen to develop an instruction manual for some software. I need my screen capture program to capture my mouse pointer on the screen. All of the freeware programs I have tried do not do this. The built in Windows screen capture doesn't do it either. For some reason the mouse pointer disappears. Does anyone know of a program or an easy way to get my mouse pointer to show up on a screen capture?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I found several on google, but I don't know anything about them.

Freeware downloads Graphics and Photo - Screen Capture at ...The program will capture mouse movements, clicks and even optional audio comments from your microphone. You can choose to record the entire screen or just a ...
    www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html - 87k - Cached - Similar pages

Screen Capture & Video Recording Software for professionals and ...Mr. Captor captures anything you see on your computer screen, including the entire ... it can capture mouse cursors, menus, groups of windows, animation, ...
    www.fox-magic.com/ - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

russ_watters

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try SnagIt.
    version 7.2.5 is now free
    http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/ukdn.asp

CamStudio looks interesting. I haven't tried it yet.
    http://camstudio.org/

One thing that I noticed that may be of interest.
    When doing a capture while ClearType is on (as it may be on an LCD), you get color artifacts that probably don't look good on anything that is not an LCD at that same resolution (e.g. paper). So, you may want to turn off ClearType. You may or may not wish to disable all font smoothing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Cool. Thanks guys! I tried four or five different freewares and had the same result. I got tired of trying.

8. Sep 26, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Sep 26, 2007 #8

Evo

Meaning it worked, or didn't work?

10. Sep 27, 2007 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I tried a few that I knew of already and they didn't work (sorry about that). I tried the Screenhunter one in one of the links and right off the bat it did exactly what I was looking for. Now I am going through some of the others that were on the same page you posted Evo and they are working pretty good too. I now have a few to choose from.

11. Sep 27, 2007 #10

Evo

Good to know, thanks!

12. Oct 9, 2007 #11
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  13. Oct 12, 2007 #12
    try to use Screen VidShot.....

14. Oct 18, 2007 #13
    i have used kind of screen capture software called ACA Capture Pro, i think it can handle it .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?