Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Screen Door not closing

1. Jun 11, 2005 #1
    Greetings
    I just installed a screen door. With the glass in the screen, I noticed that if I close the main entry door prior to the screen door being shut, the screen door will not close all the way and hit the latch.

If I try to close the screen door with the main door open the screen closes perfectly.

Yet, when I move the screen glass to expose some of the screen, the screen door closes perfectly.
    Can someone explain what is going on

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like the fit between the screen door and frame is nice and tight. You are trapping air between the door and screen door (perhaps storm door is closer). The trapped air slows the closing of the screen door so it does not have sufficient speed to activate the latch mechanism. If the door or screen door is open the air escapes fast enough that the screen door closes fast enough to get past the latch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?