Calculating Zeff in Xenon (Z=54) for M (n=3) Shell

In summary, Zeff, or the effective nuclear charge, is the net positive charge experienced by an electron in the outermost energy level of an atom. It can be calculated using the equation Zeff = Z - σ, where Z is the atomic number and σ is the shielding constant. Zeff is important in understanding the properties of an atom, as it affects the attraction between the nucleus and outermost electrons, size, stability, reactivity, ionization energy, and electron affinity. The value of Zeff generally increases as you move across a period in the periodic table, and it cannot be negative.
xinlan

Homework Statement

In xenon (Z = 54), what is the effective charge Zeff experienced by an electron in the M (n=3) shell?

Homework Equations

Zeff = Z - total electrons in K and L shells

The Attempt at a Solution

I think total electrons in K shell are 8 and in L shell are 18
then Zeff = 54-26 = 28

but I got wrong..

please help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind.. I got it.. :)

how>?

1. What is Zeff in Xenon (Z=54) for M (n=3) shell?

Zeff, also known as the effective nuclear charge, is the net positive charge experienced by an electron in the outermost energy level of an atom. In this case, we are calculating Zeff for the M (n=3) shell of xenon with an atomic number of 54.

2. How is Zeff calculated for Xenon (Z=54) in the M (n=3) shell?

Zeff can be calculated using the equation Zeff = Z - σ, where Z is the atomic number and σ is the shielding constant. For xenon in the M shell, the shielding constant is generally considered to be 9.

3. Why is Zeff important in understanding the properties of an atom?

Zeff is important because it affects the attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electrons, which in turn affects the size, stability, and reactivity of an atom. Zeff also plays a role in determining the ionization energy and electron affinity of an atom.

4. How does the value of Zeff change as you move across a period in the periodic table?

The value of Zeff generally increases as you move across a period in the periodic table. This is because the number of protons in the nucleus increases, leading to a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electrons, resulting in a higher effective nuclear charge.

5. Can Zeff be negative?

No, Zeff cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the net positive charge experienced by an electron in the outermost energy level of an atom.