1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Screwy Equation?

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    hey, I was given this function to analyze, and when it came to the x-intercepts i think i must be getting confused. The equation is (30x^4+23x^3-29x^2+6x)/x which i made into 30x^3+23x^2-29x+6x to make it easier to work with.

Anyways i used newton's method and let my first value =0 to approximate a root and came out with 1/3. However when i used graphmatica, the curve does not pass through this point at all, but -1.5. THe wierd thing is that both these points, when subbed into the equation equal zero. Where am I messing this up? thanx
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    6x / x is not 6x. Also, you may not want to make your first guess for newton's method lie on a discontinuity in the graph. Thirdly, according to descartes rule of signs that function should have over 1 real root. You probably botched plugging it into the program.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  4. Jun 7, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you divided by x you left a factor of x in the 6x term. It should just be x.

However, you do have the right roots (-3/2, 1/3 and I'll leave the third to you!) so I suspect you entered the equation into Graphmatica incorrectly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?