Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scroller Roller Wheels

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    A few weeks ago I discovered this, it's a design for bearings that don't use ball bearings, or liquids, gases or magnetic fields. It works in a similar way to how Sandia Lab's rolamites do (another strangely benighted invention). Ingenious. It leaves me wondering though, it was invented and patented over eleven years ago, why isn't it used for anything? Or if it is, what?

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Huh. Who knows why they don't get more use. The only thing I can say is that, like any other web site that claims "revolutionary" breakthroughs, there is no real technical information. They say they should replace bearings. Fine. Give me the numbers to back that up. Bearing manufacturers will tell you loads, speeds, temperatures, etc... for their product's application. I don't see any of that other than some pictures.

They did mention a couple of places they are supposedly used. I think the tough part would be figuring out a design that can accommodate one.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    That is a good point.

I do wonder if the reason for that isn't that they're being dishonest/overhyping it, but because they could be made of any number of materials, which would highly effect what loads, speeds and temperatures they could handle.

Where'd you find those? I've looked all over all the pages and didn't find a mention of an applicated use for them.

Hmmm, that could be the case. Even the shorter version's design is quite a bit thicker (therefor would take up more space inside a machine, which would make the machine more expensive since it needs to be bigger to accommodate it) for its size than a normal bearing ring can be made.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  5. May 8, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't verify the correctness of these claims but from the Introduction page:

6. May 8, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's not that I think they're being dishonest, but they are purposely not providing some information. Look at any bearing manufacturer. They will break down capacities based on materials, sizes, etc...These folks could do the same thing but they don't. I find that somewhat surprising.

7. May 8, 2007 #6
    Ah, those are true, but rolamites weren't invented by them, scrollers were.

Rolamites were invented by Donald Wilkes back in the mid '60s.

8. May 8, 2007 #7

Indeed.

I might have to fire off an e-mail to see if I can get some technical information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?