Scroller Roller Wheels: What Are They Used For?

In summary, the author is unsure why scrollers haven't taken off more, and suggests that it may be because they are made of materials that would make them unsuitable for some applications. He also suggests that they may be overhyped and that they were invented by someone else.
SkepticJ
A few weeks ago I discovered http://www.erikbrinkman.com/scroller/" over eleven years ago, why isn't it used for anything? Or if it is, what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Huh. Who knows why they don't get more use. The only thing I can say is that, like any other website that claims "revolutionary" breakthroughs, there is no real technical information. They say they should replace bearings. Fine. Give me the numbers to back that up. Bearing manufacturers will tell you loads, speeds, temperatures, etc... for their product's application. I don't see any of that other than some pictures.

They did mention a couple of places they are supposedly used. I think the tough part would be figuring out a design that can accommodate one.

That is a good point.

I do wonder if the reason for that isn't that they're being dishonest/overhyping it, but because they could be made of any number of materials, which would highly effect what loads, speeds and temperatures they could handle.

Where'd you find those? I've looked all over all the pages and didn't find a mention of an applicated use for them.

Hmmm, that could be the case. Even the shorter version's design is quite a bit thicker (therefor would take up more space inside a machine, which would make the machine more expensive since it needs to be bigger to accommodate it) for its size than a normal bearing ring can be made.

Last edited:
I can't verify the correctness of these claims but from the Introduction page:

The Rolamite is now used in airbags and as the safety for the trigger in nuclear weapons.

SkepticJ said:
I do wonder if the reason for that isn't that they're being dishonest/overhyping it, but because they could be made of any number of materials, which would highly effect what loads, speeds and temperatures they could handle.
It's not that I think they're being dishonest, but they are purposely not providing some information. Look at any bearing manufacturer. They will break down capacities based on materials, sizes, etc...These folks could do the same thing but they don't. I find that somewhat surprising.

FredGarvin said:
I can't verify the correctness of these claims but from the Introduction page:

Ah, those are true, but rolamites weren't invented by them, scrollers were.

Rolamites were invented by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolamite" back in the mid '60s.

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
It's not that I think they're being dishonest, but they are purposely not providing some information. Look at any bearing manufacturer. They will break down capacities based on materials, sizes, etc...These folks could do the same thing but they don't. I find that somewhat surprising.

Indeed.

I might have to fire off an e-mail to see if I can get some technical information.

1. What are scroller roller wheels?

Scroller roller wheels are small, cylindrical wheels that are commonly found on computer mice and other input devices. They are used to facilitate smooth and precise movement of the mouse cursor on a computer screen.

2. How do scroller roller wheels work?

Scroller roller wheels work by using a small ball or sensor to detect the movement of the wheel as it rotates. This movement is then translated into movement of the mouse cursor on the screen, allowing users to click and scroll with ease.

3. What are the benefits of using scroller roller wheels?

Scroller roller wheels offer several benefits, including improved accuracy and control when using a computer mouse. They also allow for easy scrolling through long documents and web pages.

4. Are scroller roller wheels only used for computer mice?

No, scroller roller wheels can also be found on other devices such as handheld gaming controllers and remote controls. They are used to provide smooth and precise movement in a variety of electronic devices.

5. Can scroller roller wheels be replaced if they become damaged?

Yes, most scroller roller wheels can be easily replaced if they become damaged or worn out. However, it is important to make sure the replacement wheel is compatible with your device before attempting to replace it.