Scuba cat

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

That poor cat!
So now not only do cats have to worry about being tortured with silly costumes but they also have to worry that they may be expected to scuba dive or some such crazy thing.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Didn't that cat just look thrilled to be wearing that whole contraption and dumped under water? :rolleyes: That was a "Just wait until I get a chance to trip you on the stairs," look if I ever saw one!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
"We can't always explain why people do stuff" - especially stupid stuff.

That says it all.

Evo
Mentor
Yeah, I don't thnk underwater cat diving is going to take off.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Impressive.

The cat didn't look sedated at all.

Though I imagine it will not be rubbing up against that equipment, begging that jackass to take it out to the pool again any time too soon.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The cat didn't look sedated at all.
Just in shock - or numb.

"We can't always explain why people do stuff" - especially stupid stuff.

That says it all.
You beat me to it. That's what I was going to quote.

Poor cat was not impressed at all.

That was hilarious ! The cat might eventually like it.

My mother used to wash one of our cat, a white one, he seemed to like car mechanics. He would have to take a shower a week or so. Eventually he got used to it.

Did anyone ask the cat if it wanted to go scuba diving? If the cat could talk do you think it would have said, “Meow, yes.” If someone tried to pull a stunt like that on my cat, he would leave bloody bites on ‘em from head to toe. He’s part ocelot and likes a warm bath in my big kitchen sink not in the ocean.

I have to be honest . . . the cat in the video looked sedated. I bet they drugged the poor creature. Look at the cat's eyes in the video. Comatose is the word that comes to my mind.:bugeye: Poor little thing. It makes me sick. :mad:

Next video please. :) The dog one looked ok. Dogs like to swim in oceans, lakes, and swimming pools.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This says it all. :biggrin:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/funny-pictures-cat-is-under-water.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman
Mentor
I think they should make it a lot more fun for the cat. Let him dive in a coy pond. Then we'll see a happy kitty!

negitron
Science Advisor
I have to be honest . . . the cat in the video looked sedated. I bet they drugged the poor creature. Look at the cat's eyes in the video. Comatose is the word that comes to my mind.:bugeye: Poor little thing. It makes me sick. :mad:
You know, I wish people--especially on site like this--would do just a little research before making snap judgments. The fact is, Hawkeye the cat enjoys swimming and scuba diving.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/scuba-cat.htm

So what does Hawkeye do when she's scuba diving? Sometimes she bounds around along the pool's bottom like Neil Armstrong on the moon's surface. She hasn't quite figured out how to swim underwater, even though she's a proficient surface swimmer. This is where Alba comes in. He'll typically hold Hawkeye's tank and lead her around the pool while she hangs around, checking everything out. According to Alba, scuba diving relaxes her -- the weightlessness of being underwater could be a welcome change from the gravity-bound shackles of dry land.

Since Mutley and Hawkeye have gained more attention, Alba has some concerns that animal rights advocates might get involved and try and put a stop to the diving. Alba assures doubters that it's a very safe activity and that both of his pets love to dive. According to Alba, Mutley gets excited every time the dive gear comes out of the closet, and Hawkeye just loves being with Mutley, no matter what he's doing. Over the years, Alba has worked with the Humane Society to help raise money and awareness for animal rights.

Here's an extended video. Hawkeye looks fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1VcgRrEM8

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think they should make it a lot more fun for the cat. Let him dive in a coy pond. Then we'll see a happy kitty!
Yeah, cool - you could get some little tiny wetsuits and masks for the koi to wear, and you would have little Scuba Fish for Scuba Cat to chase!

oh, wait..

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hawkeye is probably "bounding" along the bottom of the pool because she can't swim and is trying to find a way out! If she can't swim and can't get back to the surface, she really hasn't got much of a choice. I want to see her owner's arms and back after he removes her from the pool to examine them for claw marks before I'm going to be convinced she likes the idea.

negitron
Science Advisor
Or you could, y'know, watch the video in post #14.

berkeman
Mentor
I wonder how you clear your eustachian tubes with a full helmet like that. That must hurt the ears. I wouldn't want to dive in one of those...

Now in a shallow pond with Koi...