Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scuba cat

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2
    That poor cat!
    So now not only do cats have to worry about being tortured with silly costumes but they also have to worry that they may be expected to scuba dive or some such crazy thing.

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't that cat just look thrilled to be wearing that whole contraption and dumped under water? :rolleyes: That was a "Just wait until I get a chance to trip you on the stairs," look if I ever saw one!

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4

Astronuc

"We can't always explain why people do stuff" - especially stupid stuff.

That says it all.

6. Jun 14, 2009 #5

Evo

Yeah, I don't thnk underwater cat diving is going to take off.

7. Jun 14, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Impressive.

The cat didn't look sedated at all.

Though I imagine it will not be rubbing up against that equipment, begging that jackass to take it out to the pool again any time too soon.

8. Jun 14, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Just in shock - or numb.

9. Jun 14, 2009 #8
    You beat me to it. That's what I was going to quote.

Poor cat was not impressed at all.

10. Jun 14, 2009 #9
    That was hilarious ! The cat might eventually like it.

My mother used to wash one of our cat, a white one, he seemed to like car mechanics. He would have to take a shower a week or so. Eventually he got used to it.

11. Jun 15, 2009 #10
    Did anyone ask the cat if it wanted to go scuba diving? If the cat could talk do you think it would have said, “Meow, yes.” If someone tried to pull a stunt like that on my cat, he would leave bloody bites on ‘em from head to toe. He’s part ocelot and likes a warm bath in my big kitchen sink not in the ocean.

I have to be honest . . . the cat in the video looked sedated. I bet they drugged the poor creature. Look at the cat's eyes in the video. Comatose is the word that comes to my mind.:bugeye: Poor little thing. It makes me sick. :mad:

Next video please. :) The dog one looked ok. Dogs like to swim in oceans, lakes, and swimming pools.

12. Jun 23, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This says it all. :biggrin:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/funny-pictures-cat-is-under-water.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Jun 23, 2009 #12

berkeman

I think they should make it a lot more fun for the cat. Let him dive in a coy pond. Then we'll see a happy kitty!

14. Jun 23, 2009 #13

negitron

Science Advisor

You know, I wish people--especially on site like this--would do just a little research before making snap judgments. The fact is, Hawkeye the cat enjoys swimming and scuba diving.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/scuba-cat.htm

15. Jun 23, 2009 #14
    Here's an extended video. Hawkeye looks fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1VcgRrEM8

16. Jun 23, 2009 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, cool - you could get some little tiny wetsuits and masks for the koi to wear, and you would have little Scuba Fish for Scuba Cat to chase!

oh, wait..

17. Jun 23, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hawkeye is probably "bounding" along the bottom of the pool because she can't swim and is trying to find a way out! If she can't swim and can't get back to the surface, she really hasn't got much of a choice. I want to see her owner's arms and back after he removes her from the pool to examine them for claw marks before I'm going to be convinced she likes the idea.

18. Jun 23, 2009 #17

negitron

Science Advisor

Or you could, y'know, watch the video in post #14.

19. Jun 23, 2009 #18

berkeman

I wonder how you clear your eustachian tubes with a full helmet like that. That must hurt the ears. I wouldn't want to dive in one of those...

Now in a shallow pond with Koi...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook