Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I SCUBA Depth Calculations

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    So if you were scuba diving and your depth gauge broke, could you create a system where you exhale some air and record the time it took to reach the surface. If so, what would they equation look like?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Fun question. But first of all, when I'm scuba diving, it's hard for me to see my bubbles all the way to the surface. And second of all, we prefer for posters to show some effort in their questions -- what have you found in your reading about this question? :smile:

4. May 17, 2016 #3
    Maybe the size of the bubbles may be a rough indicator of the depth.
    Have you observed a difference in the average size as you go deeper?

5. May 18, 2016 #4
    While you may be able to observe the difference of the mass of the gas of the bubbles, wouldn´t the volume be the same because it is about how your lungs(Constant volume) will hold at a given depth/pressure, and I am not sure how reliable it would be to measure it. I am looking for an algorithm similar to dropping a rock, and counting how many seconds it takes for it to land to calculate how high a cliff is.

6. May 18, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted