Scuba diver and pressure in air tank

In summary, the equation P_1V_1 = P_2V_2 can be used to determine the pressure required to force sufficient air into a scuba tank for a 1-hour dive. The volume of each breath and the respiration rate can be used to calculate the V_1 needed, while the tank capacity provides the V_2. The correct use of Latex codes may also be consulted for further clarification.
chrozer
If a scuba diver is to remain submerged for 1 hour, what pressure must be applied to force sufficient air into the tank to be used? Assume .5 Liters of air per breath a standard atmospheric pressure, a respiration rate of 38 breaths per minute, and a tank capacity of 30 Liters.

How would you go by solving this problem? I tried dimensional analysis but I got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you can use is;

P[tex]_{1}[/tex]V[tex]_{1}[/tex] = P[tex]_{2}[/tex]V[tex]_{2}[/tex]

Just rearrange it to solve for P[tex]_{2}[/tex], which is what you want to know.

Then you just have to figure out how many liters of air the diver will breathe in that hour. It tells you the volume of each breath, and how many breaths he'll take (breaths per minute times sixty minutes). So that'll give you the V[tex]_{1}[/tex] that he needs, whereas the V[tex]_{2}[/tex] is the volume of the tank.

And I still don't know why the Latex codes are displaying those numbers as superscripts rather than subscripts...

LtStorm said:
The equation you can use is;

[tex]P_1V_1 = P_2V_2[/tex]

Just rearrange it to solve for [tex]P_2[/tex], which is what you want to know.

Then you just have to figure out how many liters of air the diver will breathe in that hour. It tells you the volume of each breath, and how many breaths he'll take (breaths per minute times sixty minutes). So that'll give you the [tex]V_1[/tex] that he needs, whereas the [tex]V_2[/tex] is the volume of the tank.

And I still don't know why the Latex codes are displaying those numbers as superscripts rather than subscripts...

Like this?

Yeah, like that, I need to consult the instructions for using Latex apparently.

Edit: Feh, of course I just now realized what I'd done wrong.

Last edited:

1. How does pressure in an air tank affect a scuba diver?

The pressure in an air tank is crucial for a scuba diver as it determines how much air they have available for breathing while underwater. As they dive deeper, the pressure around them increases, and the air in their tank compresses, reducing the volume of air available for breathing. So, it is essential for a diver to monitor the pressure in their tank carefully and plan their dive accordingly to avoid running out of air.

2. How is the pressure in an air tank measured?

The pressure in an air tank is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which is attached to the tank. The gauge displays the pressure in the tank in either pounds per square inch (psi) or bars. Divers should check the pressure gauge before and during their dive to ensure they have enough air for their planned dive time.

3. What is the maximum safe pressure for an air tank?

The maximum safe pressure for an air tank is typically around 3000 psi or 200 bars. This pressure limit is set to ensure the structural integrity of the tank and to prevent it from rupturing. Scuba tanks are designed and tested to withstand this pressure, but they should still be handled with care to avoid any damage that could compromise their safety.

4. How can a scuba diver safely release air from their tank?

To release air from an air tank safely, a scuba diver needs to use the regulator attached to their tank. The regulator allows them to control the flow of air from the tank and breathe it in through their mouthpiece. Divers can also use the regulator to release small amounts of air from the tank to adjust their buoyancy while underwater.

5. Why is it important to equalize air pressure in the ears while diving?

Equalizing the air pressure in the ears is crucial for a scuba diver to avoid discomfort, pain, and potential ear injuries. As a diver descends, the pressure around them increases, and the air in their ears becomes compressed. By equalizing, they are allowing the air to flow freely in and out of their ears, balancing the pressure and preventing any damage or discomfort.