Sea-Launch Anomaly: What Happened?

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anomaly
In summary: Reverse is usually engaged when you're trying to get away from something. I wonder if they realized what they were doing and tried to stop, or if something went wrong and they couldn't stop in time.In summary, Sea-Launch experienced an anomaly today during launch operations, and all personnel at the launch site are safe and accounted for. The nature of the anomaly is unknown, but it is possible that it could have caused the failure of the launch.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Sea-Launch "anomaly"

This sounds a bit ominous:

http://www.sea-launch.com/"
"A Sea-Launch Zenit-33l vehicle carrying the NSS-8 satellite, experienced an anomaly today during launch operations. All personnel at the launch site are safe and accounted for."

So what exactly was the nature of this "anomaly"? The video is on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMG2SBwIcrM"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
When you said sea-launched, I pictured from a submarine! But even from an oil-platform-type launch pad, there's no way I'd be on that platform! Hopefully "All personnel at the launch site" were way off the platform where the camera was sitting.

I don't know how you can spot the anomalous bit what with all that brightness and flamage...

Yeesh, that's some anomaly!

berkeman said:
When you said sea-launched, I pictured from a submarine! But even from an oil-platform-type launch pad, there's no way I'd be on that platform! Hopefully "All personnel at the launch site" were way off the platform where the camera was sitting.
Presumably, the camera was located on the control ship. Yeah, I'd hope the launch platform itself was unoccupied.

<sinking feeling> that's our customer.

the launch platform is unoccupied during launch, but I suspect this will put an end to the project.

They have had other successful launches, so why do you think this is it?

"Anomoly" is quite the euphamism.

I suppose I shouldn't be so hasty. Doesn't look like the launch platform could have survived though. That's a converted oil rig they have based out of LA California, along with a second ship that serves as a launch control ship. If the launch platform sank, they'd need to replace it which might take 3 to 5 years at a cost of about $500 million. Since the cost of a launch is around $80 million, and they only have a handfull of launches per year, you quickly realize the economics isn't good, especially with the competition for launches the way things are. The launch industry has an abundance of launch vehicles - it's very competitive. Recovering from a single failed launch is problematic. Recovering from a failed launch and the loss of your launch site just seems like a great time to look for a new job.

On the other hand, if the launch platform survived and is still floating, they might be able to recover. I looked around the web but haven't found anything yet that says if the platform is still floating or not.

I wonder what their legal staff is going through right now. CYA has to be top of the list. The satellite it was carrying couldn't have been cheap.

The satellite it was carrying couldn't have been cheap.
Yep. Payloads range from about 100 million $ on up to a billion. Being a communications satallite, I'd expect it to be on the low end of that range, say less than 250 million. So yea, it's not cheap. However, they're usually covered by insurance. Of course, if a launch vehicle experiences a failure or two (this is the second Sea Launch failure) insurance can be extremely expensive.

http://spaceflightnow.com/sealaunch/nss8/" has a write up on it. They didn't have this last night, it's the site I'd usually go to for information on launch stuff. They said:
Condition of the Odyssey, a converted Norwegian oil-drilling platform, was not known as of late Tuesday.
Sounds like Boeing is being very closed lipped about what happened and the fate of the Odyssey. The fact they're not saying anything, that they cut off the broadcast as YouTube shows, and they're not even confirming the Odyssey is still floating seems a bit ominous to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
I wonder what their legal staff is going through right now.

Well, the lawyers did one thing right. The made sure that a nice unemotional word like "anomaly" was used to describe it.

Same applies in the civil aivation business - things that weren't supposed to happen are called incidents, not accidents...

A good sign...

Looks like the Odyssey survived!
A preliminary assessment of the Odyssey Launch Platform indicates that, while it has sustained limited damage, the integrity and functionality of essential marine, communications and crew support systems remains intact. The vessel is operating on its own power and is currently manned by the full marine crew. This team is performing a comprehensive assessment of all aspects of the vessel, including its structural integrity and sea-worthiness, in anticipation of identifying and planning the next steps.
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/sealaunch/nss8/070201statement.html

Looks to me as if they had engaged reverse rather than 1st gear ;-)

1. What caused the Sea-Launch anomaly?

The Sea-Launch anomaly was caused by a failure in the first stage of the Zenit 3SL rocket, which resulted in the loss of the payload and the destruction of the rocket. The exact cause of the failure is still under investigation.

2. How common are launch failures like this?

Launch failures are not uncommon in the space industry, and they occur for a variety of reasons. However, the failure rate is relatively low compared to the number of successful launches.

3. Was anyone injured in the Sea-Launch anomaly?

No one was injured in the Sea-Launch anomaly as the rocket was launched from an offshore platform. However, the loss of the payload was a significant financial setback for the companies involved.

4. What was the purpose of the Sea-Launch mission?

The purpose of the Sea-Launch mission was to launch a communications satellite into orbit for a commercial client. It was a joint venture between companies from Norway, Russia, Ukraine, and the United States.

5. Has there been any progress in preventing similar anomalies in future launches?

Since the Sea-Launch anomaly, there have been improvements in rocket design and safety measures to prevent similar incidents from occurring. However, the space industry is always evolving, and there is always a risk of launch failures.