Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sea plane with tail prop

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    A friend of mine works at one of the local airports. Recently he spotted a seaplane with pontoons and front prop. But it had a prop behind the tail also. What the....? Who knows what this could be?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The only thing that comes immediately to mind that has a pusher and a puller prop is the old Cessna Skymaster. That's not a seaplane though. I can think of a few puller prop seaplanes like the Lake Buccaneer, but I am at a loss right now. I'll have to do some searching.

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    fred thanks for the reply. Interesting, right? I tried to send a picture but i'm not sure how. thanks again.

5. Jun 17, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you have a picture, use imageshack to post a link to it here. I am definitely interested to see a picture of it and to find out what it is.

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  8. Jun 17, 2008 #7
    No, but that is a cool plane. this one has a convetional prop and another high on the back. The pic I got is not very good but the friend that saw it was dead sober.

9. Jun 17, 2008 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll have to post the picture, but it kind of sounds like a Cessna O-2 Skymaster with custom-added pontoons or something.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Jun 17, 2008 #9
    fred, the image I have was emailed to me and was taken on a cell phone cam. I already sent one but I didn't get your note. I don't know how to use imageshack. Send me an email. that's easier, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  11. Jun 18, 2008 #10

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Jun 18, 2008 #11
    seaplane

sending pic

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  13. Jun 18, 2008 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  14. Jun 18, 2008 #13
    I had it from the source that the thing had a tail prop.... I'll check back. If not, my apologies for the frakus. I do see something back there though.

15. Jun 18, 2008 #14

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not seeing a rear prop either. If it's got anything back there, it isn't a powered propellor.

16. Jun 18, 2008 #15
    I'm making a phone call now.

17. Jun 18, 2008 #16
    I hate when this happens. I got the right description with the wrong picture. Here's the right picture. I'm disappointed as i'm sure you are too. My apologies. but I still have the same question. What could this little prop be for?

18. Jun 18, 2008 #17
    Also, I somehow unsubscribed to something here. what does that mean?

19. Jun 18, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

That's a Skymaster, but it is certainly not a float-plane. Cessna did offer Skymasters in that configuration, but this is a plain-vanilla version, by the looks of it.

20. Jun 18, 2008 #19

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, Cessna O-2 Skymaster. The prop in the rear is a second drive engine. If one engine fails, the flight characteristics of the craft are not seriously compromised as can be the case with dual-engine planes that have an engine on each wing.

21. Jun 19, 2008 #20
    Some copy cat airplanes showing up at that airport again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?