What is the purpose of a sea plane with a tail prop?

• Thread starter mtworkowski@o
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: I'm making a phone call now.In summary, a friend of mine works at one of the local airports and recently spotted a seaplane with pontoons and front prop. But it had a prop behind the tail also. What the...? Who knows what this could be?The only thing that comes immediately to mind that has a pusher and a puller prop is the old Cessna Skymaster. That's not a seaplane though. I can think of a few puller prop seaplanes like the Lake Buccaneer, but I am at a loss right now. I'll have to do some searching.
mtworkowski@o
A friend of mine works at one of the local airports. Recently he spotted a seaplane with pontoons and front prop. But it had a prop behind the tail also. What the...? Who knows what this could be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only thing that comes immediately to mind that has a pusher and a puller prop is the old Cessna Skymaster. That's not a seaplane though. I can think of a few puller prop seaplanes like the Lake Buccaneer, but I am at a loss right now. I'll have to do some searching.

fred thanks for the reply. Interesting, right? I tried to send a picture but I'm not sure how. thanks again.

Got my interest up. Apparently, you could order the 337 Skymaster with sea-plane options including corrosion-resistant metals.

http://www.skymaster.clara.net/history.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a picture, use imageshack to post a link to it here. I am definitely interested to see a picture of it and to find out what it is.

Could it be the Dornier Seastar?

ILA_04_Dornier_Seastar.jpg

796px-Dornier_Seastar_D-ICKS.jpg

(Site is in German)
http://www.dornierseastar.com/seastar/beschreib/beschreib.html [Broken]

No, but that is a cool plane. this one has a convetional prop and another high on the back. The pic I got is not very good but the friend that saw it was dead sober.

You'll have to post the picture, but it kind of sounds like a Cessna O-2 Skymaster with custom-added pontoons or something.

O2BankingHard.jpg

Last edited:
fred, the image I have was emailed to me and was taken on a cell phone cam. I already sent one but I didn't get your note. I don't know how to use imageshack. Send me an email. that's easier, isn't it?

seaplane

sending pic

Last edited:
I had it from the source that the thing had a tail prop... I'll check back. If not, my apologies for the frakus. I do see something back there though.

I'm not seeing a rear prop either. If it's got anything back there, it isn't a powered propellor.

I'm making a phone call now.

I hate when this happens. I got the right description with the wrong picture. Here's the right picture. I'm disappointed as I'm sure you are too. My apologies. but I still have the same question. What could this little prop be for?

Last edited:
Also, I somehow unsubscribed to something here. what does that mean?

That's a Skymaster, but it is certainly not a float-plane. Cessna did offer Skymasters in that configuration, but this is a plain-vanilla version, by the looks of it.

mtworkowski@o said:
I hate when this happens. I got the right description with the wrong picture. Here's the right picture. I'm disappointed as I'm sure you are too. My apologies. but I still have the same question. What could this little prop be for?

Yup, Cessna O-2 Skymaster. The prop in the rear is a second drive engine. If one engine fails, the flight characteristics of the craft are not seriously compromised as can be the case with dual-engine planes that have an engine on each wing.

Some copy cat airplanes showing up at that airport again.

Last edited:
Ever ince I started reading this thread, I've been searching for a photo of the marine variant of the Skymaster. I never knew pontoons were an option on this aircraft, and now I'd like to see what that looks like. Can anybody find one?

As far as I know, there were no variants that had floats. I have not been able to find anything that states otherwise. There was a civilian and a military version. If there is one, I have a suspicion that it was a custom job.

I've always referred to the Skymaster as a 'Mixmaster', but my late buddy who owned one called it a 'Pushmepullyou'. I've never heard of one with floats, but I suppose that you can put them on just about anything.

According to some 337 fanatics, there was a seaplane option.

http://www.skymaster.clara.net/history.htm [Broken]

As far as interchangable parts go, in the military -4 (Illustrated Parts Catalogue) every sheetmetal part has the suffix "CP" behind it. This meant "Corrosion Proofed" and unless you ordered a seaplane version, you didn't get this part in your plane. Every rib, stringer, etc was alodined and primer before assembly on the military birds, Birdogs, Skymasters, Blue Canoes, and Tweets all had this. I don't believe that many 337's were ordered with seaplane options.

Yes, I've seen several websites that say you could put pontoons on the Skymaster, but only since the start of this thread. None of them have images, and I'm having real trouble picturing it.

On a Cessna owner’s forum they discuss a 336 with floats installed. Besides being under performing, it also had erosion damage on the rear prop, which is understandable.
http://forums.cessnaowner.org/read/5/12176/page=1 [Broken]
There is no record that I can find that it was ever approved. It certainly wasn’t by Cessna.
http://cessna337.com/c337info.html [Broken]
Besides the USAF the Iran AF used the 337.

What is the purpose of a sea plane with a tail prop?

The purpose of a sea plane with a tail prop is to allow the plane to take off and land on water. The tail prop, also known as a water rudder, helps to steer and stabilize the plane in water, making it possible for the sea plane to operate in bodies of water.

How does the tail prop work?

The tail prop works by using a rudder, which is a movable surface at the back of the plane. This rudder can be turned to change the direction of the plane, providing steering control. In a sea plane, the rudder is designed to also function as a water rudder, allowing the pilot to control the direction of the plane while on water.

Why is a tail prop necessary for a sea plane?

A tail prop is necessary for a sea plane because the regular landing gear on a plane is not designed to operate on water. The water rudder helps to distribute weight and provide stability in the water, making it possible for the sea plane to take off and land safely.

Can a sea plane with a tail prop also operate on land?

Yes, a sea plane with a tail prop can also operate on land. The tail prop can be retracted or removed when the plane is on land, and the landing gear can be used instead for takeoff and landing.

What are the advantages of a sea plane with a tail prop?

The advantages of a sea plane with a tail prop include the ability to take off and land on water, which expands the range of places the plane can travel to. It also allows for a smoother and more controlled landing on water, as well as the possibility of landing in areas with limited or no runway access.