Dangerous Outcome of Sealing Dry-Ice in Box

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sealing
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential dangers of sealing a box with a block of CO2 in it and allowing it to evaporate. The speaker shares their hypothesis that this could create a pressurized box that could potentially harm or scare someone. They also mention a similar incident at a science fair where dry ice was used in a pressure cooker, causing a table to jump and people to be startled. Another person shares a related demonstration using liquid nitrogen in a plastic bottle, causing them to run away. The conversation ends with the idea of trying this with dry ice.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok let's see... what would happen if i completely sealed up a box with a block of CO2 in it (with room to evaporate).

My hypothesis is I create an incredibly dangerous pressurized box ready to kill someone. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much room?

Kill? Maybe. Maim? Little more likely. Scare the whey out of somebody? You betcha.

Some idiot pulled a similar stunt at a science fair at one of the local schools around ten years ago --- dry ice in Mom's pressure cooker. The table it was sitting under jumped a couple feet in the air --- the people in the room with it did likewise.

Basically a mini-fridge hehe.

I saw a demonstration once. Fellow put some liquid nitrogen in a plastic pop bottle ( 2 liter). Then he tossed it into a barrel full of room temperature water. Run away! Run away! Where's my umbrella?

Never tried it with dry ice, hmmm.

1. What are the potential dangers of sealing dry-ice in a box?

Sealing dry-ice in a box can result in the build-up of carbon dioxide gas, which can displace oxygen and potentially lead to asphyxiation. In addition, the extreme cold temperatures of dry-ice can cause frostbite or burns if handled without proper protection.

2. Can sealing dry-ice in a box cause explosions?

Yes, sealing dry-ice in a box can cause explosions if the build-up of carbon dioxide gas reaches a high enough pressure. This is why it is important to use proper ventilation and never seal dry-ice in an airtight container.

3. What should I do if I accidentally seal dry-ice in a box?

If you accidentally seal dry-ice in a box, do not open the box immediately. Move the box to a well-ventilated area and allow the dry-ice to sublimate (turn from a solid to a gas) before opening the box. If you experience any symptoms of asphyxiation, seek medical attention immediately.

4. Is it safe to transport dry-ice in a sealed box?

No, it is not safe to transport dry-ice in a sealed box. As the dry-ice sublimates, it will produce carbon dioxide gas which can build up and potentially cause an explosion. It is important to use proper ventilation when transporting dry-ice.

5. What precautions should I take when handling dry-ice in a box?

When handling dry-ice in a box, always wear protective gloves and eye protection. Do not touch the dry-ice with bare hands as it can cause frostbite. Additionally, make sure to use proper ventilation and never seal dry-ice in an airtight container.