Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sean Carroll

1. May 14, 2005 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

You gave the specific blog
    http://preposterousuniverse.blogspo...erousuniverse_archive.html#111509098797695398

and here is a quote from it:
    "I hadn't anticipated any problems at all. But apparently there are a few of our faculty who don't think much of my research. A stylistic clash, I imagine. "

So he SAYS it was some others in the department didnt like the direction or character of his research. I tend to believe what Sean says rather than look for hidden reasons that he does not say.

my feeling is that he will have a great career wherever he goes. he is smart and popular, has lots of colleagues that like him and will connect him to some excellent position. he is also something of a celebrity cosmologist, much invited to give talks at all kinds of conferences. he will be a big asset to whatever Astronomy department he fits into

my feeling is that it doesnt really accomplish anything to speculate about why UChicago department didnt want him as their permanent resident celebrity cosmologist. if they didnt like his brand of cosmology and wanted to move in a different direction then that is their perogative. Departments have to decide what their makeup and the main thrust of their research is going to be.

Let's look and see what cosmologist they get INSTEAD and maybe that will be a clue.

I dont want to judge them. Obviously they gave up a world-class star cosmologist, whom everybody likes as a person, and they must realize this, and they must have had some other consideration that balanced it.

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  4. May 14, 2005 #3

turbo

Gold Member

The only thing I can come up with is maybe the board asked who is the leading cosmetologist and Sean didn't make the cut.

5. May 14, 2005 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

at least that fits with what he said about a "stylistic clash"
    :uhh:

6. May 15, 2005 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That is sad news. I think he is a visionary. Did Jennifer Chen depart as well?

7. May 15, 2005 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I found it sad too. Someone else will have to answer your question about her because I dont know anything besides what he said at the blog. However I do not think that either of them has left Chicago. Sean is still on the faculty. I think the department's refusing to grant him tenure simply means that over the next year he will probably get some nice offers from other places and he will resign his position at UChic. and move somewhere else. Not getting tenure is not like getting fired, it is like NOT getting a promotion that you expected.

8. May 15, 2005 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Marcus, you got the pun, so you "made the cut". I wanted to throw in a smilie, but that would have made it too obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?