How Does a Search Engine Work?

In summary, search engines use a complex algorithm to find relevant results by analyzing keywords, page titles, and backlinks. The order of search results is determined by a ranking system that considers factors such as keyword relevance and website authority. Spelling mistakes or typos are handled through query expansion, and search engines use language and location-specific algorithms to provide relevant results. Search engines continuously update their index to keep up with the changing web, with most major search engines updating several times a day.
Hamhiu
Please tell me how a search engine works ? :wink:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Easy. I went to ask.com (used to be askJeeves.com) and typed in:

how does a search engine work?

I got lots of hits back. Here's a good one:

http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2168031

Google has a http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you,
but can you tell me why only google let's people know about their technology ?
I only want to take a look at how others work but none of them say anything

Regards,
- Hamhiu Motminh

1. How does a search engine find relevant results for my search?

A search engine uses a complex algorithm to analyze and index web pages. This includes looking at keywords, page titles, and backlinks to determine the relevance and quality of a webpage. The search engine then uses this information to rank the results based on their relevance to the search query.

2. How does a search engine determine the order of search results?

Search engines use a ranking system to determine the order of search results. This ranking system takes into account various factors such as keyword relevance, website authority, and user engagement to determine the most relevant and high-quality results for a given search query.

3. How does a search engine handle spelling mistakes or typos in a search query?

Search engines use a process called "query expansion" to handle spelling mistakes or typos in a search query. This involves using algorithms to correct common spelling and typing errors and suggest alternative search terms that may be more relevant to the user's intended search.

4. How does a search engine handle different languages and regions?

Search engines use language and location-specific algorithms to provide the most relevant results for a particular language or region. This includes considering the language of the webpage, the location of the user, and any language or location preferences set by the user.

5. How often does a search engine update its index?

Search engines continuously update their index to ensure the most up-to-date and relevant results for users. The frequency of updates can vary depending on the search engine, but most major search engines update their index several times a day to keep up with the constantly changing web.