Getting to the Top of Google: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the ranking of a website on Google's search engine is determined by an algorithm called PageRank, which takes into account factors such as the quality of external links and the content and structure of the page itself. While paying for ad space on Google may improve a site's visibility, it is separate from the organic search algorithm. There have been allegations of behind-the-scenes deals between Google and certain websites, but no hard evidence has been found. Properly optimizing a site with quality content and strong links is a more effective way to improve its ranking.
Nusc
For a website to appear at the very top under Google's search engine, what is required?

Is it based on the number of hits or the number of times the word comes up within that website and description?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It uses an algorithm called PageRank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

It's ranked by the rank of the sites that link to you. After that then there are about 200 other factors with weights that change all the time. Like keyword in title, domain name, metatags, h1 tags, etc, etc.

DavidSnider said:
It uses an algorithm called PageRank.

As only one of many factors, including the content of the page itself, and how it's structured and marked up. It's not simply a matter of counting the number of times the word being searched for appears on page, it goes far beyond that. Links from other sites are important, but the classic PageRank algorithm is only part of that. They also take into account how "related" the content of the other sites is to yours.

Google doesn't give out details because they don't want to make it easy for spammers, but they do have a nice summary of basic generic optimization techniques here:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Paying them helps.

Yes, paying Google will get your site listed as a "sponsored link" in the pink area at the top of the search results, or in the sidebar at the right. This is completely separate from the "organic search" algorithm. I've often seen sites turn up on the first page both as sponsored links (because they paid Google) and near the top of the organic search (because they do well in the organic search algorithm). Try searching for "Apple Computer", for instance.

jtbell said:
Yes, paying Google will get your site listed as a "sponsored link" in the pink area at the top of the search results, or in the sidebar at the right. This is completely separate from the "organic search" algorithm. I've often seen sites turn up on the first page both as sponsored links (because they paid Google) and near the top of the organic search (because they do well in the organic search algorithm). Try searching for "Apple Computer", for instance.

Actually that is part of the issue. I understand the question and to a certain extent there are ways to help, but money is a factor. And it goes beyond the adwords thing.

Your site can get better ranking if you find a site that has a deal with google or yahoo.

Allegations that a site can improve its position in the organic search rankings by making some kind of behind-the-scenes deal with Google are fairly common on webmaster-oriented forums (I participate in a couple of them), but I haven't seen any hard evidence of it, so I consider them to be basically conspiracy theories.

Well that was something they denied years ago, but did come clean. It is no big secret. That is when the one put on their submission link a way to buy placement.

My wife sold crap on the internet, and she got placement by buying space on a site that did have a deal with the search engines. And her site was named very odd, so if you searched direct it should have been at the top.. That only occurred after she signed up for the site that did have a deal.

Yeah to sell adwords google has change it a little. You can at least buy sidebar now.

WHy do you think Wiki and Imdb come up everytime you search?

I am with jtbell on this one - while many claim Google sells rankings, nobody has ever seen any proofs.

Tell me why www.ph-meter.info shows as second when you search for pH meter - you think I have paid $.01 for that? No, site is properly optimized and has good, strong links. And it took several years to get it that high. That's so called white hat SEO, plenty of tutorials on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nusc said:
For a website to appear at the very top under Google's search engine, what is required?

As said above, the exact nature of Google's ranking algorithms are of a murky nature and that is by design. But, it essentially boils down to quality content, proper content formatting, appropriate keyword application, and most important, quality and number of incoming links.

PageRank is not used much for actual result rankings anymore. It has been exposed as an indicator for priority of indexing. A site with a PageRank of 7-10 will be hit faster, longer and deeper by googlebots compared to a site with a PageRank of say 2-3.

Borek said:
I am with jtbell on this one - while many claim Google sells rankings, nobody has ever seen any proofs.

Tell me why www.ph-meter.info shows as second when you search for pH meter - you think I have paid $.01 for that? No, site is properly optimized and has good, strong links. And it took several years to get it that high. That's so called white hat SEO, plenty of tutorials on the web.

So I am the lone conspiracy nut. Oh well, I guess I will go sit in my pyramid and meditate until the eye in the sky sends me new instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of getting to the top of Google?

Getting to the top of Google's search results is crucial for businesses and websites as it increases visibility and drives more traffic to their site. Studies have shown that the majority of users only click on the top few results, making it essential to rank high on Google to attract potential customers or readers.

2. How can I optimize my website to rank higher on Google?

To improve your website's ranking on Google, you can focus on search engine optimization (SEO) strategies such as using relevant keywords, creating high-quality content, and improving your website's user experience. It is also important to regularly update your website and build backlinks from reputable sources to improve your site's authority.

3. Is it possible to guarantee a top spot on Google's search results?

No, it is not possible to guarantee a top spot on Google's search results. Google's algorithms are constantly changing, and there are many factors that determine a website's ranking. While you can use SEO strategies to improve your chances of ranking higher, there is no guarantee of a top spot.

4. How long does it take to reach the top of Google's search results?

The time it takes to reach the top of Google's search results varies depending on the competitiveness of your industry and the keywords you are targeting. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to see significant improvements in your ranking. Consistent efforts in SEO and regularly updating your website can help speed up the process.

5. Are there any risks associated with trying to rank higher on Google?

While there are no risks associated with trying to rank higher on Google, it is essential to use ethical SEO practices. Trying to manipulate Google's algorithms or using black hat SEO techniques can result in penalties and even get your website banned from search results. It is crucial to follow Google's guidelines and focus on creating valuable content for your audience.