Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search for a phrase?

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    How do I search for a phrase like "Principles of Relativity Physics" rather than it being interpretd as a number of keywords?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2
    Just as you have done. Put '' '' marks to indicate a phrase.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    "principles of relativity physics" returns results without the phrase in it.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4
    Really? I just typed in "principles of relativity physics" (with the quotes) and the first 4 pages were all entries with only the phrase "principles of relativity physics" in it.

Are you using Google? (though it shouldn't matter, quotes are the standard operator for this).

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5
    Inferior search engines like MS Live (now rebranded 'Bing') will not always return pages that match the exact phrase even when quote marks are used.

Also, when searching for an exact phrase it helps to choose one which conforms to standard grammar conventions in that language. In the phrase:

"Principles of Relativity Physics"

The word "relativity" is incorrectly used as an adjective, while in english this word always is a noun. One correction could be:

"Principles of Relativistic Physics"

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6
    You can go to Google and use these for searching this site alone:
    Code (Text):
    "Principles of Relativity Physics" site:physicsforums.com
    Code (Text):
    "Principles of Relativistic Physics" site:physicsforums.com
    And also, this way you don't have to wait 60 secs after each search.

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7
    Hey thanks, that's a great tip. It works using Google to search physicsforums, but the search engine on physicsforums doesn't search the phrase for me.

9. Jun 27, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The inbuilt search engine here at PF is pretty lousy; google is normally a lot better. Also note that Boolean searching is only available to gold members.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook