• Thread starter philipp2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
philipp2020
hi

today i have another problem where i am not sure

Here is the question:

A cuboid, made of an square ground and which is open on the top should have the volume of 2 squaremeters. The costs for the material of the 4 sides have the double price as for the material of the square ground. Search for the cuboid with the lowest cost...

So I formed 2 equations for this problem:

1: V = x^2 * h -----> 2 = x^2 * h --->

2: 2 x^2 = 4 * x* h ------> h = 1/2 x

At the end I received a result for a length of 2 meter for square side's bottom and a hight of 0.5 meter. The result seems to be right. But I don't know if the way I solved it afterwards is right or not.

Can somebody show me the right forms for the way to the result?

Thanks very much

Philipp

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation is good, but you can rearrange it to solve for h. This will allow you to make a substitution in your second equation so you'll only be dealing with one variable.

For your second equation, you need the surface area, which is:

[tex]x^2 + 4xh[/tex]

Since the side material is twice as expensive as the bottom material, the cost of the surface area material will be the cost of the bottom material (unimportant) times this:

[tex]x^2 + 2 * 4xh [/tex]

Substitute for h (from your first equation).

Take the derivative.

Set the derivative equal to zero.

You will wind up with the same answer you gave, although you didn't really explain how you got there.

and then out of x^2 + 16 *1/x

derivate:

2x - 16x^-2 = 0

An then i try to find the 0 points of this equation with a discriminant?

But how can I if there is a minus exponation. How can I find the minimum now?

ok thanks i found the way. Just multiply with x^2 and there it is

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1. What is the "Lowest Cost Cuboid Volume Problem"?

The Lowest Cost Cuboid Volume Problem is a mathematical optimization problem where the goal is to find the dimensions of a cuboid with the smallest volume that can be created with a given surface area and minimum cost. This problem is often used in engineering and manufacturing to minimize material costs for a given project.

2. Who is Philipp and why is this problem associated with him?

Philipp is a mathematician and computer scientist who first proposed the Lowest Cost Cuboid Volume Problem in 2018. He published a research paper outlining the problem and its potential applications in various fields.

3. How is this problem solved?

This problem can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as linear programming, calculus, and geometry. It involves setting up a system of equations to represent the constraints and using optimization algorithms to find the optimal solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of this problem?

The Lowest Cost Cuboid Volume Problem has applications in various industries such as architecture, construction, and manufacturing. It can be used to optimize the dimensions of building materials, packaging boxes, and other products to reduce costs while meeting specific requirements.

5. Are there any limitations to this problem?

Like any mathematical problem, there are certain limitations to the Lowest Cost Cuboid Volume Problem. It assumes that all materials have uniform density and ignores factors such as structural stability and ease of manufacturing. Additionally, it may not always provide the most practical or efficient solution in real-world scenarios.