Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search PF with FireFox or Mozilla

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    This is a seach plugin for those of you who use firefox or mozilla. This way you can quickly search PF even if your not directly at the site.

copy the 2 files from the .zip file to:
    <mozilla installation directory>\searchplugins\

once you copy the files and restart firefox, see the search engine input box, I think google is the default, click the icon with the arrow and PF should now be an option.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2
    i copied them to the folder, but nothing has changed, and i have restarted firefox

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    see the search engine input box, I think google is the default, click the icon with the arrow and PF should now be an option.

5. Oct 27, 2004 #4
    It works!!!
    Cool!!
    How did u make it? or am i not supposed to ask that?

-- AI

6. Oct 27, 2004 #5
    Open the physicsforums.src in a text editor, it's really quite easy

For those of you who don't have firefox, get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/

7. Oct 27, 2004 #6
    That's awesome, it works great!

8. Oct 27, 2004 #7
    What the ****!
    Thats it?
    Man pretty neat!!

-- AI

9. Oct 27, 2004 #8
    ohh i see now, but the default search thingy for firefox sucks, is this possible with the google extension in firefox?

10. Oct 27, 2004 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

11. Nov 1, 2004 #10
    i agree with dduardo after all this website is just as important as google. once again firefox rules and physics forums users get to use it to their advantage.

12. Nov 4, 2004 #11
    What a great little plug in!!!!!

Awesome - thanks. Nearly as good as Adblock.... :smile:

13. Dec 4, 2004 #12
    I'm currently working on a firefox/mozilla toolbar for PF.

Features:
    ---------

search
    new private messages
    science news
    quick post
    reference links

anything else you guys would want?

14. Feb 15, 2005 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

So how's that toolbar coming along?

15. Apr 21, 2005 #14
    you can use a feature of firefox called "quick searches" also here. in fact, it works on all search boxes all over the net.

right click any search box (or press key between "alt gr" and "right ctrl") and click "Add a keyword for this search" give it a keyword such as "physics"

this means that in the address bar, you can actually just type "<yourkeyword> <yoursearch>"

eg. "physics frequency problem"

and it will jump to the search results for this search.

PS: LOVE the RSS feeds so useful.

16. Apr 22, 2005 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also just search in Internet Explorer. Open google type in site:physicsforums.com and your keyword.

17. Apr 22, 2005 #16
    Maybe I am confused here, Monique, but why would someone want to go to google to search pf? Is there some difference?

18. Apr 23, 2005 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ad-in Greg is suggesting also uses google. Google uses a superior indexing and search algorithm than is incorporated in these forum software. And not everyone has or wants to use firefox or mozilla.

19. Aug 31, 2005 #18
    The problem with using google to search PF is that google doesn't have every thread indexed and won't have the new threads since google only updates every few days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?