Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search Trouble

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1
    Every once in a while when I try to search old posts or threads the things tells me there were no matches found. Sometimes that turns out to be because I am not remembering the exact word someone used, but at others it seems to be because the search engine is on strike. I just tried searching "Einstein" for the username "zoobyshoe" and was told there were no matches, despite the fact I must have written it in a hundred posts.

Any ideas about any obvious mistakes I might be making, or does the search engine really have problems sometimes?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2
    I'm aware of this, search is disabled. I'm in the process of switching from vb search to mysql fulltext search and it's taking longer than expected.

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    Hmmm. What is funny is that I just tried the "Einstein" search again, in case I'd misspelled anything before, and was presented with the above post as the only match. It seems to have lost it's long term memory.

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4
    Or that I purged the post index yesterday :wink:

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5
    OK. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't me doing something weird I didn't realize.

7. Dec 6, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're searching for an older thread (it doesn't always work for something very recent), use google instead. Just include PhysicsForums as part of the search (write it as all one word and it'll match the URL for this site). It works pretty well for me.

8. Dec 6, 2005 #7
    You mean like: physicsforumszoobyshoeeinstein ?

9. Dec 6, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

physicsforums zoobyshoe einstein, but I doubt it would pull up all of the posts.

10. Dec 7, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does a pretty good job. I can usually find the threads I'm looking for that way. Those spiders crawling around here are pretty busy. :biggrin:

11. Dec 7, 2005 #10
    Try this instead at google:

zoobyshoe einstein site:physicsforums.com

12. Dec 8, 2005 #11
    Thanks for the search tips, guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?