Searching for a mechanism

Summary
Please i need help finding a mechanism that does the following job
The mechanism i need is one that give a reflex which is equivalent to the force we apply on it, so lets say you push on it softly for a long duration of time, then it will return softly for nearly the same duration of time. or if you pushed on it very hard for a short period of time, then it will return hardly for nearly the same duration of time.

It doesn't matter for me its size or any of its specs as i can modify it to fit my need, so please make your suggestions as wide as possible

Thanks.

berkeman

Mentor
From GettyImages:

May be i need to make my self more clear.

It has note to be instant like the example you gave ..... i needed to store the energy as exacly as it was gained, then later it will give it back when needed

For example a piston that when you push on it with a small force it will move slowly until it is completely closed,then when you release it,it has to return by the same rate with the same force.but if you pushed with a strong force then it will move fast and when released it will return with the same rate and force

Sorry if i am not very clear as english in not my main language

Thanks.

berkeman

Mentor
Sorry if i am not very clear as english in not my main language
No worries, your English is fine. I just wanted to clarify if the return force could be at the same time (like with the seesaw), or if it had to be recorded for playback later.
It has note to be instant like the example you gave ..... i needed to store the energy as exacly as it was gained, then later it will give it back when needed
The way it would be done usually is to use a microcontroller (uC) to record and then later play back the behavior. In the "old" days, that recording could be done on a moving wire or a phonograph record.

But you also say that you want to store the "energy" from this motion, and use that in the playback. You can probably do something like that, but you do understand that you cannot get 100% of the energy back out that you store, right? At best, you could maybe get 50% of the energy input back out -- is it okay for your project if you augment the lost efficiency with extra power input (like from wall power AC Mains)?

Can you say more about your project to help us help you better? Thanks. :smile:

Can you say more about your project to help us help you better? Thanks. :smile:
Thanks for your interest

My project simply is a mechanical device that regulate the force transmission from one object to another and could be used for many applications, in other words lets say i want to transmit a forse of 50N to an object from an unconstant force source, so if the force source is 80N then i wan the device to counter act it with a force of 30N leaving force of just 50N to be transmitted, and if the force from the source rise to 110N then it will countet act it by 60N leaving just 50N to be transmitted.

I understand that it must have an upper limit which if the force exceed then it will fail,but thats ok

Hope i descriped it will and thanks again for your help

tech99

Gold Member
If you do not need a time delay, then for an electrical system a potential divider would serve. For a mechanical system, friction does the same thing.