Is there a mechanism that can mimic our applied force and time duration?

• Thread starter Sameh soliman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the mechanism needs to store the energy from the input force, and then use that energy to counteract the force of the output.
Sameh soliman
TL;DR Summary
Please i need help finding a mechanism that does the following job
The mechanism i need is one that give a reflex which is equivalent to the force we apply on it, so let's say you push on it softly for a long duration of time, then it will return softly for nearly the same duration of time. or if you pushed on it very hard for a short period of time, then it will return hardly for nearly the same duration of time.

It doesn't matter for me its size or any of its specs as i can modify it to fit my need, so please make your suggestions as wide as possible

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From GettyImages:

Likes 256bits
berkeman said:
From GettyImages:

View attachment 243373
!

berkeman said:
From GettyImages:

View attachment 243373
May be i need to make my self more clear.

It has note to be instant like the example you gave ... i needed to store the energy as exacly as it was gained, then later it will give it back when needed

For example a piston that when you push on it with a small force it will move slowly until it is completely closed,then when you release it,it has to return by the same rate with the same force.but if you pushed with a strong force then it will move fast and when released it will return with the same rate and force

Sorry if i am not very clear as english in not my main language

Thanks.

Sameh soliman said:
Sorry if i am not very clear as english in not my main language
No worries, your English is fine. I just wanted to clarify if the return force could be at the same time (like with the seesaw), or if it had to be recorded for playback later.
Sameh soliman said:
It has note to be instant like the example you gave ... i needed to store the energy as exacly as it was gained, then later it will give it back when needed
The way it would be done usually is to use a microcontroller (uC) to record and then later play back the behavior. In the "old" days, that recording could be done on a moving wire or a phonograph record.

But you also say that you want to store the "energy" from this motion, and use that in the playback. You can probably do something like that, but you do understand that you cannot get 100% of the energy back out that you store, right? At best, you could maybe get 50% of the energy input back out -- is it okay for your project if you augment the lost efficiency with extra power input (like from wall power AC Mains)?

Can you say more about your project to help us help you better? Thanks. :smile:

Likes Nik_2213
berkeman said:
Can you say more about your project to help us help you better? Thanks. :smile:
Thanks for your interest

My project simply is a mechanical device that regulate the force transmission from one object to another and could be used for many applications, in other words let's say i want to transmit a forse of 50N to an object from an unconstant force source, so if the force source is 80N then i wan the device to counter act it with a force of 30N leaving force of just 50N to be transmitted, and if the force from the source rise to 110N then it will countet act it by 60N leaving just 50N to be transmitted.

I understand that it must have an upper limit which if the force exceed then it will fail,but that's ok

Hope i descriped it will and thanks again for your help

If you do not need a time delay, then for an electrical system a potential divider would serve. For a mechanical system, friction does the same thing.

1. What is the purpose of a mechanism that mimics applied force and time duration?

A mechanism that mimics applied force and time duration can be used for testing and measuring the strength and durability of materials and structures. It can also be used to simulate real-world scenarios and conditions for research and development purposes.

2. How does a mechanism mimic applied force and time duration?

A mechanism can mimic applied force and time duration through the use of various components such as motors, gears, and sensors. These components work together to replicate the amount of force and duration of time that would be applied in a real-world situation.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of force and time duration that a mechanism can mimic?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force and time duration that a mechanism can mimic. This limit is determined by the strength and capabilities of the components used in the mechanism. However, advancements in technology have allowed for more powerful and precise mechanisms to be developed.

4. Can a mechanism accurately mimic all types of applied forces and time durations?

It depends on the specific design and capabilities of the mechanism. Some mechanisms may be able to accurately mimic a wide range of forces and durations, while others may be limited to specific types of forces and durations. It is important to carefully consider the intended use and requirements when designing a mechanism.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a mechanism that mimics applied force and time duration?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with using a mechanism that mimics applied force and time duration. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the mechanism to ensure accurate and safe results. Additionally, safety protocols should be in place when using the mechanism to prevent any potential hazards or accidents.