What equipment do I need for EE labs and projects on a budget of $1500?

• Thread starter leright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary: You can find a decent power supply for around $60-100, and a decent multimeter for around $30. The scope and signal generator are both going to be a bit more expensive, but they're definitely worth it.
leright
Hi everyone. I am an EE student (dual major in physics and EE) and I am considering investing in a decent protoboard, oscilloscope, and signal generator. I also would like a decent power supply that has 5V, 12V and 15V DC and I want a decent multimeter. This will mainly be for labs and whatnot, as I do not want to have to rely on the school's equipment for everything, and I may want to do some projects of my own. I feel that if I am going into EE as a career and I plan on going to grad school, having these tools will be very useful to me. I have a budget of only around $1500...

Preferably, the scope and signal generator will be rather portable. I do not need a screen on the scope. It will suffice to have just a USB connection to a computer. For the signal generator and scope I am considering something like this.

http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PS023&Category_Code=PS

Will this be what I want for general lab work and other mescellaneous projects?

What about for the power supply, protoboard (maybe I could find a protoboard WITH a ps), and multimeter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PS020&Category_Code=PS

this oscope looks good too.

anyone have any advice?

power supply, check out some of these: http://mpja.com/powersupply.asp

a good bench power supply is worth paying a little extra for, but it's a waste to dump a lot of money on one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't bother with an oscilloscope with an input bandwidth of less than 60 MHz. Honestly, you're not going to be able to afford a decent scope for less than $1,500... that's just the way things are. Many schools have loan programs where you can borrow pieces of equipment like scopes for up to a week at a time... I'd suggest you look into that first before spending money on equipment that really isn't worth much beyond the hobbyist level.

- Warren

You used to be able to pick up stuff like that on ebay pretty cheap, but that was before it became so popular. Now it's to easy to find the going rate for stuff, and people actually know what they have before they post it:cry: .

What kind of equipment do I need for my experiment?

The type of equipment you need will depend on the nature of your experiment. Make a list of the required materials and research the specific equipment needed for each step. You may also consult with other scientists or your mentor for recommendations.

How do I know if the equipment is suitable for my experiment?

It is important to research and read reviews about the equipment before making a purchase. Consider the specifications and features of the equipment and compare them to your experiment requirements. You may also consult with other scientists or your mentor for their opinion.

Where can I find the equipment I need?

You can find equipment in various places such as scientific supply stores, online retailers, or through industry contacts. It is important to compare prices, quality, and availability before making a decision on where to purchase your equipment.

Can I rent equipment instead of purchasing it?

Yes, there are companies that offer equipment rental services for scientific equipment. This may be a more cost-effective option for one-time experiments or for equipment that is not regularly used. Be sure to thoroughly research the rental company and read reviews before making a decision.

How do I properly maintain and store my equipment?

Proper maintenance and storage of equipment is crucial for its longevity and accuracy. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and storage. It is also important to regularly clean and calibrate your equipment to ensure accurate results. Store your equipment in a clean, dry, and safe location when not in use.