Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for the call for Kerry's DD SF-180

1. Aug 17, 2004 #1

kat

I guess I'm not the only one...Op Ed's are beginning to question the media's silence on Kerry's confusing stories... Too bad Zero's not here to cry that the Media leans towards the conservatives!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2740155

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2
    Oh my God, he's Bill Clinton.

4. Aug 17, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Kerry did, at least, go to Vietnam. I'll give him that much.

5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
  6. Aug 21, 2004 #5
    I still can not understand how Bush the moron can attack Kerry on his military records. The freaking chicken**** coward didn't even go. He hid in the guard. In fact he was able to get in the guard ahead of many other men who were on the waiting list to get in because his daddy was senator. LOL only 1 person ever remembers Bush ever fulfilling his duties in the guard. Bush will go down as the bigest failure in the history of the United States.

7. Aug 21, 2004 #6
    To my knowledge, he isn't.

Man, you must have a particularly low opinion of Bill Clinton. :)

Oh, really? Are you SURE about that???

8. Aug 21, 2004 #7
    Just not the ones relevant to this discussion.

9. Aug 21, 2004 #8

kat

The 180 is a release of all military records. Bush signed his after being requested to by the media, where is the media clamour for Kerry to sign his 180 and release ALL of his military records as opposed to the select records he's posted on his site?

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9
    Oh well, I didn't read through every single record posted on that site, so I didn't know which was relevant or not. You sure none of them might answer your question?

11. Aug 21, 2004 #10
    Wouldn't it be great if he didn't release all his records becuase it turns out he never really committed war-crimes and just made that whole thing up in front of the senate hearing? :rofl:

12. Aug 22, 2004 #11

kat

We already know that at least some of the testimony at the senate hearing was fabricated, including some of the so called "vietnam vets". I don't really think that is what one would expect to find out through his records at any rate. I think some of the vets who served with Kerry would like to have just have the truth out, maybe have his records vindicate them in some way, show that Kerry was dishonest and not the hero he says he is..particularly those men who served their full year and feel that they really earned their medals and those who refused medals for injuries greater then Kerrys' etc. *shrug*
    At any rate, if the media can be at all impartial it should be calling for a 180 from kerry just as it did for Bush..and let the "cards" fall where they may.

Although, there's been some speculation that the holding out on releasing his records is a big scheme...to create a big build up and then when Kerry finally signs the 180...there will be no great revelations to be found in his newly released records...and then he can say "see, I told you so"..... :tongue:

13. Aug 22, 2004 #12
    About the media not seeking Kerry's full disclosure of military records:

I don't think the media as a whole is leaning left or right. Certainly you have Fox News leaning to the right, Air America leaning to the left etc., but the majority I feel isn't necessarily treating either candidate particularly special. I think the problem is just that the media sucks. Every Republican can point out times when Bush's been criticised harshly and Kerry hasn't, and every Democrat can point out times when Kerry's been criticized harshly and Bush hasn't (while Kerry's record is infact being scrutinized and is one of the biggest news items out there right now, no one is making any sort of issue of GWB's lack of service). I think the media is just lazy and would rather talk about Kobe Bryant and Scott Peterson than politics, and will only do any investigations or demand things of public figures if there's a huge outcry for them. It would be best if the media demanded Kerry release all his military records, and there are tons of other records that the Bush campaign could release as well, but if few care about it (regardless of it's importance), the media won't do it.

Sadly, it makes sense. If only a small of the population really cares about some records, and if you get those records, only a small amount of people will be interested in watching/reading/listening to your report about it, but if you talk about something alot of people are interested in, like whose wife is the bigger ***** or who used the f word, then you're garunteed a bigger audience.

14. Aug 22, 2004 #13
    You posted the link. Shouldn't you be the one to examine the material to see if it is relevant to the discussion?

As if they haven't in the past?

15. Aug 22, 2004 #14

russ_watters

That would be a very twisted irony.

16. Aug 22, 2004 #15
    I posted the link so that kat, and anyone else interested, could look through Kerry's military records and try to find things they might think haven't been released. I was trying to supply people with a way to possibly get some questions answered.

Certainly Bush's lack of service has been talked about, but he's not getting any slack now and he hardly did anything, wheras Kerry's getting all this crap and he volunteered to serve in vietnam, it just seems very one-sided.

17. Aug 22, 2004 #16
    First of all, Bush received flak over his National Guard service for four years. Remember the AWOL story? But the stories have basically dwindled because there appears to be little evidence to substantiate them -- not to say that they are false, but you can go on innuendo only for so long. Four years from now the swift boat issue will no longer be discussed to any serious level.

These attacks by individual organizations are nothing new. I remember Catholic priests trying to instill the notion that Reagan would initiate Armagedon if elected. Also, there was a similar strategy to claim that Bush Sr. ditched his plane too early, leaving his crewmen to die in the crash.

18. Aug 23, 2004 #17

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On the title subject, the SF180 is just the request for the real document, the DD214. And Kerry's DD214 is already public record; at least people online are citing it. See today's Daily Kos. So all the hooh-hah about the SF180 is just more obfuscation.

19. Aug 23, 2004 #18

russ_watters

The DD214 is just the discharge papers. With the SF180, you can request the full service record.

SF180

20. Aug 23, 2004 #19
    just because hes a liring scum bag, is that really any reason not to vote for him?

21. Aug 23, 2004 #20
    Well, I guess that is up to each individual person. But the truth needs to come out, only because Kerry has made such a big deal out of his service record.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?