Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for the Roots of 9/11

1. Mar 26, 2003 #1
    A bunch of us might want to watch this.

Thomas L. Friedman Reporting: Searching for the Roots of 9/11

Discovery Channel 30
    Mar 26 09:00pm CST

The roots of Muslim rage; mistrust toward America.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2003 #2
    Don't know how you folks outside of the US might get a chance to watch this show, but I saw the guy interviewed yesterday and it seemed like he has found some answers.
  4. Mar 26, 2003 #3
  5. Mar 26, 2003 #4
    Sounds very interesting thank you for telling us alias! I have much hoework to catch up on but I have an hour so hopefully I will finish it before the program starts...
  6. Mar 26, 2003 #5
    Does anyone know who anything about this Tommy Friedman guy?
  7. Mar 26, 2003 #6
    no clue, that is why i use the ambiguous term "interesting." :wink:
  8. Mar 26, 2003 #7
    It totally kicked my butt. It was very revealing... to me anyway.

The problem, its cause, and the solution are at hand. (Somebody make me king and I'll knock it out real quick. :smile: )

More in another thread.
  9. Mar 27, 2003 #8
    i wish Bush could have seen that before making the statements about how they "hate freedom" which so many people seem to have taken to heart. i actually have been familiar with the perspective presented in the show which is why i have been generally opposed to the actions of the current administration. i am really glad you found value in it Alias and i hope others might take the time to watch it when it is broadcasted again next tuesday at 8est.
  10. Mar 27, 2003 #9

Here is what I have learned regarding the problem.

Many Arabs and muslims hate the US.

The reasons that many Arabs and muslims hate the US are...

1. Their regimes have allowed their societies to fall behind other developing nations. The US, by and large, has supported these regimes.

2. Because their regimes have allowed them to fall behind, they suffer from humiliation, jealousy, and poverty of dignity.

3. While many muslims look up to the US and her values, they see us as two-faced when our foriegn policy doesn't appear to reflect our value system. They feel that the US is a bully and doesn't care about their plight. The US's support of Israel reinforces this.

This is what follows...

When the utopian vision of an Islamic state preached by charismatic leaders meets the rage of the hatred for the west, the result is Islamist terrorism.

Anyone care to solve this one?
  11. Mar 27, 2003 #10

Do you believe any of this?
  12. Mar 27, 2003 #11
    All of that was straight from the horses mouth and I believe every bit of it.

Which parts do you not agree with?
  13. Mar 27, 2003 #12
    I more-or-less believe the whole thing. Frankly, if you want to get a good, balancedview of teh war, Friedman is a good place to start.
  14. Mar 27, 2003 #13
    i think it is important to mention that the "charismatic leaders" you are referring to are ones of small extremist factions.

as for how to solve the problem, most importantly is treating the many Arabic people who are not terrorist with respect. cutting of funding their oppressive ruling class would be a good step in the right direction. another big step in the right direction would be to work to end the conflict in Israel/Palestine. i recommend working for an resolution to push Israeli boarders back to the 1967 agreement and fill in the space between the current boarders and that with a demilitarized zone and UN regulated troops on either side to keep those boarders.
  15. Mar 27, 2003 #14
    Oh no! Don't ever mention Israel! The Bible says...whatever, so we have to support their terrorism!
  16. Mar 27, 2003 #15
    Shock and Awe

Quit bein' a detective? Zero!

I agree with most of what kyleb just said.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  17. Mar 27, 2003 #16
    ya i think he should rephrase "The Bible says..." to "the misguided Bible beating fanatics say..."

while i am not one that subscribes to any particular religion, i am a man of faith and i have spent much time studding the Bible. when it comes down to it, my beliefs are much more in line with that of Jewish than Christianity, but i do find value in both and i have yet to see any justification for the current situation in the Holy Land in either the old or new Testament. well i suppose you could consider that the rapture is only supposed to come after the building of the third Temple which isn't going to happen as long a the current Mosk stands, but i really don't see any reason to egg on the apocalypse. best i can tell, the only people pushing for that are the ones who cannot find joy in this life; and while i don't normally condone suicide, i would much prefer they did that as opposed to killing others.
  18. Mar 27, 2003 #17
    Ya, maybe I should...

There is a powerful element in the Republican Party that sees turmoil in the Middle East to be fulfilling prophesy that ends in teh destruction of teh world. So, maybe they don't mind seeing massive death and destruction, so long as it is Arabs, and not their so-called 'chosen people'...and should they really have control of anything more dangerous than a pencil?
  19. Mar 27, 2003 #18

Science Advisor

One problem with the Israel-Palestine issue is that it is not in the interest of either leader to have peace. While for Sharon, peace would just mean losing the next election, for Arafat, peace is a death sentence. While the majority of Palestinians want peace, there are enough with guns who can only accept victory. Peace is defeat. Any leader who obtains peace without victory is a traitor who will be killed.

The rest of the terrorist world is much like this. Once a culture resorts to terrorism, it is hard to make it stop. Catering to the terrorists increases it. Repressing the culture from which it springs increases it. Terrorist leaders can not compromise, because they fear the fanaticism of their followers. Annihilating the terrorists is usually not acceptable to decent people, because there is usually a grain (or more) of justice in their cause.

I think the best solution is to enhance a legitimate, powerful, non-terrorist entity to act on behalf of the culture. This is difficult, because the terrorists generally act to discredit this entity. Israel tried making Jordan the spokesmen for the Palestinians, and contributed to a civil war in Jordan. Lately, the Palestinian Authority has been given that role. We'll see how it goes. We'll see if this new prime minister has real power, and is willing to be a martyr. The world will insist that he die for peace.

20. Mar 27, 2003 #19
    That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You live in a very strange world.

I think what you might be trying to say is...

There are some people on the fringe of the Christian community that sees turmoil in the Middle East to be fulfilling prophesy that ends in the destruction of the world.
  21. Mar 27, 2003 #20
    but the thing is that many of those fruit-loops have invaded the Republican party over the past twenty odd years.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?