What is the equality of first and second focal lengths in Sears' Optics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of first and second focal lengths in optics, with one person questioning Sears' claim that they are equal without proof. The conversation also mentions that the focal lengths are not always equal in general, but can be equal if the lens is symmetrical. The conversation then delves into the definitions of first and second focal lengths and how they are related to the principle points in optical systems.
ttzhou

Homework Statement

In Sears' Optics, chapter 4, Sears claims that the first and second focal lengths (distance from first and second focal points to the first and second principal points, respectively) are equal, and he seems to imply that this is true in general, without proof.

I am a mathematician at heart, and the lack of proof of this bothers me immensely. Would any PF'ers be able to shed some light on this matter? It would be greatly appreciated. I did a forum search and went through about 4-5 pages and found nothing similar.

Homework Equations

Basically, [itex]f = f'[/itex] where [itex]f[/itex] stands for the first focal length and [itex]f'[/itex] stands for the second.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried imagining this using Fermat's principle of reversibility, but it seems kind of sketchy...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are they calling the "first" and "second" focal lengths?

In general, the front and back focal lengths will be different.
The two are the same if the lens is symmetrical.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

What are they calling the "first" and "second" focal lengths?

In general, the front and back focal lengths will be different.
The two are the same if the lens is symmetrical.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

Hi Simon,

As mentioned in my post - the first focal length is defined as the distance from the first (or front) focal point to the first principal point, which is defined as the intersection of the first principle plane and the axis. The second focal length is defined analagously.

I've already read the Wiki article and I did not find it to be of use. My intuition tells me that in general they are not equal, but according to Sears, he constantly makes reference to them being equal, and nowhere has he stated that the lenses are symmetrical. In fact, he does an example in which the lens is asymmetrical, but STILL claims the focal lengths are equal.

OK - I was trying to guide you there , let's try another approach: reading FFL and BFL - under "general optical systems" in wikipedia, there is a detailed derivation showing that these two lengths are not, in general, the same.

Comparing wiki with Sears, however, FFL (eg) is defined from the first optical surface. FL1, by Sears, is defined from the first principle point ... which refines the search: to understand Sears, you need to understand how the principle point is found [pdf]. FL1=|F-P| and FL2=|F'-P'|. Wikipedia calls this "EFL" and, indeed, FL1=FL2.

From there is it a matter of geometry.

1. What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focus point. It is commonly used to describe the strength or power of a lens, with shorter focal lengths providing a wider field of view and longer focal lengths providing a narrower field of view.

2. How is focal length measured?

Focal length is typically measured in millimeters (mm). This measurement is taken from the optical center of the lens to the focal point, which can be either in front of or behind the lens depending on the type of lens. Some lenses may also have a range of focal lengths, known as a variable focal length or zoom lens.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and magnification?

The relationship between focal length and magnification is inverse - as the focal length increases, the magnification decreases. This means that a longer focal length lens will produce a smaller image of a subject compared to a shorter focal length lens. However, magnification can also be affected by other factors such as sensor size and distance from the subject.

4. How does focal length affect depth of field?

Focal length also plays a role in depth of field, which is the range of distance in an image that appears in focus. A longer focal length lens will have a shallower depth of field, meaning that only a small portion of the image will be in focus. A shorter focal length lens will have a wider depth of field, making more of the image appear in focus.

5. What are some common uses for different focal lengths?

Shorter focal lengths, such as 10-20mm, are often used for wide-angle photography to capture a larger field of view. Medium focal lengths, like 35-50mm, are commonly used for general photography and portraits. Longer focal lengths, such as 70-200mm, are ideal for telephoto photography, allowing for a narrow field of view and close-up shots of distant subjects.