1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seat belt force

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Hey, I have the following problem:

A car going 15m/s is brought to rest in a distance of 2.0m as it strikes a mound of dirt. How large an average force is exerted by the seatbelts on a 90kg passenger as the car is stopped.

I have found one formula... F = (mass * change in velocity)/time ... and I have found stopping time to be approx (2.0/15) = 1.33 (unless I am wrong) so F = (90 (not sure about this) * 15)/1.33 = 10125N

The only problem is I have the right answer from a friend that is approx 5100N. Can someone tell me whats going wrong? Thanks!,
    -Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

see comments above.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    As he had said, 15 is not the Vavg. Instead of using v to calculate, you should be using acceleration. Use the formula Vf ^ 2 = Vi ^2 + 2a DeltaX . Vf will be zero(because it comes to rest), Vi is 15, and delta X(displacement) is 2. Through the calculation, we get -56.25m/s^2 for acceleration. Force is mass times acceleration. The passenger's mass is 90kg, so we multiply the two figures, and get 5062.5. Because there's 2 significant figures, we round the number to 5100N.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?