Finding Slopes and Equations of Secant and Tangent Lines for a Given Curve

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving the slope of a secant line and the slope of a tangent line.
Jan Hill

Homework Statement

Given a point P (3, 10) and the equation of a curve as x^2 -5x-4, find the slope of the secant and the equation of the tangent line to the curve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using y = f(x + h) -f(x) all divided by h and got (x + h)^2 - 5(x + h) - 4 -x^2 - 5x-4 all divided by h

I got x^2 + 2xh + h^2 - 5x-5h -4-x^2 -4 all divided by h

which equals 2xh + h^2 - 5x-5h - 4+5x + 4 all divided by h

which equals 2x + h all divided by h

Can we then claim that the slope of the secant is probably 2 and substitute this into an equation of the form
y - 10 = 2(x-3)
or y = 2(x-3) + 10 to get the equation of the tangent line

Physics news on Phys.org
Jan Hill said:

Homework Statement

Given a point P (3, 10) and the equation of a curve as x^2 -5x-4, find the slope of the secant and the equation of the tangent line to the curve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using y = f(x + h) -f(x) all divided by h and got (x + h)^2 - 5(x + h) - 4 -x^2 - 5x-4 all divided by h
Jan Hill said:
I got x^2 + 2xh + h^2 - 5x-5h -4-x^2 -4 all divided by h

which equals 2xh + h^2 - 5x-5h - 4+5x + 4 all divided by h

which equals 2x + h all divided by h
Lets' start by writing this in a more mathematical form.
[f(x + h) -f(x)]/h = [(x + h)^2 - 5(x + h) - 4 - (x^2 - 5x-4)]/h

Jan Hill said:
Can we then claim that the slope of the secant is probably 2 and substitute this into an equation of the form
y - 10 = 2(x-3)
or y = 2(x-3) + 10 to get the equation of the tangent line

so simplified this becomes

the limit as h approaches 0 of 2x + h - 5

which becomes 2x - 5

but what is the slope of the secant?

Yes, so f'(x) = 2x - 5. This is the slope of the tangent line at a point (x, f(x)).

A secant line is a line that intersects two points of a curve.

I think what the first part of this problem is asking you to do is to find the slope of the secant line between P(3, 10) and a point (x, f(x)).

The second part is asking you for the slope of the tangent line at (3, 10), I think.

Have you written the problem here exactly as it's worded?

1. What is the difference between a secant and tangent equation?

A secant equation is a type of polynomial equation that intersects a curve at two or more points. A tangent equation, on the other hand, is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point.

2. How do you solve a secant or tangent equation?

To solve a secant or tangent equation, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. You can also graph the equation to find the points of intersection.

3. What are the applications of secant and tangent equations?

Secant and tangent equations are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are often used to model real-world situations, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the growth of a population.

4. Can secant and tangent equations have more than one solution?

Yes, both secant and tangent equations can have more than one solution. In fact, a secant equation must have at least two solutions, as it intersects a curve at two points. A tangent equation can have multiple solutions if the curve has multiple points of tangency.

5. How do you graph a secant or tangent equation?

To graph a secant or tangent equation, you will first need to solve for the variables and then plot the points on a coordinate plane. For a secant equation, you will need to plot at least two points to draw the line. For a tangent equation, you will only need to plot one point, as the line will only intersect the curve at that point.