Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secant method, bisection or NR

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    Hi so I have attached a graph, and I am trying to find the first root of the function. I began using Newton Raphson however due to the oscillatory nature of the curve, sometimes NR would not find the first route but an nth route. I need the first. Therefore what I did was compute the first time the function is known to be negative. At this point the x value and the function value are known. It is also known that x = 0 is greater than 1.
    My question then is should I use the bisection method as it is guaranteed to solve for a root lying between x = 0 and f(xn) < 0. However it is slow. The secant method requires two initial values so would that work? Or can I use the Newton Raphson method and set a boundary that it knows the route must be before?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

If you know the interval that contains the root you are looking for, Brent's Method might be a good choice, or a combination of Brent's method (or bisection) to get close, then NR for rapid convergence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent's_method

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook