Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second chance at life, or is it?

1. May 9, 2003 #1
    Is there afterlife? Or do things drop where you left off? I know different religions see this differently but I would ask you guys to reply as a person with his or her own believes, not including whatever your religion taught you unless you absolutey believe that that is true. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2003 #2
  4. May 9, 2003 #3
    You phrase it so succintly Boulder....but yeah that is a certain way of looking at things...
  5. May 9, 2003 #4
    Check my Finite space in infinite time-thread.
  6. May 9, 2003 #5
    It certainly is an appealing idea - which would make me want to raise kids and lead a nice conventional stable life.

I have to raise doubts as to why people believe it is true. People are biased towards this from upbringing and sheer desire to believe it to be true.
  7. May 9, 2003 #6
    To whose post is yours a response, plus?
  8. May 9, 2003 #7
  9. May 9, 2003 #8
    I was alluding to the origional question - why the idea of the afterlife is so popular.
  10. May 12, 2003 #9
    I'm hoping when i die, i'm well, dead. Unable to think, unable to do anything ... if not i'm pretty screwed :(
  11. May 13, 2003 #10
    That sounds painful

Did you feel any younger afterwards?
  12. May 13, 2003 #11
    Re: That sounds painful

Yes, but when I looked in the mirror I looked older! Not easy to deal with! ...

And yet, while I still feel younger (16 years later), I look even older!!?
  13. May 13, 2003 #12
    Let's use a little of logic to analyse the situation.

Death is absense (or end) of life, right? That is what we call death (definition of death).

So, is there life in the absense of life? Nope.

Just by definition.
  14. May 17, 2003 #13
    maybe there is a after life
    but it maynot be ruled by your christian god
    some aztec god may ask how many POW
    you killed for him to insure the sunrize!!

or budda may ask what you deserve to go back as!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?