Second chance at life, or is it?

• Thread starter devil5_advocate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of afterlife and whether things continue after death or not. Participants shared their personal beliefs and questioned the popular belief in an afterlife. Some suggested using logic to analyze the situation and others mentioned the possibility of an afterlife controlled by different gods or beliefs.
devil5_advocate
Is there afterlife? Or do things drop where you left off? I know different religions see this differently but I would ask you guys to reply as a person with his or her own believes, not including whatever your religion taught you unless you absolutey believe that that is true. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You phrase it so succintly Boulder...but yeah that is a certain way of looking at things...

Check my Finite space in infinite time-thread.

It certainly is an appealing idea - which would make me want to raise kids and lead a nice conventional stable life.

I have to raise doubts as to why people believe it is true. People are biased towards this from upbringing and sheer desire to believe it to be true.

To whose post is yours a response, plus?

Originally posted by Sauwelios
To whose post is yours a response, plus?

I was alluding to the origional question - why the idea of the afterlife is so popular.

I'm hoping when i die, I'm well, dead. Unable to think, unable to do anything ... if not I'm pretty screwed :(

That sounds painful

Originally posted by Iacchus32
I died and gave birth to myself...
Did you feel any younger afterwards?

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Did you feel any younger afterwards?
Yes, but when I looked in the mirror I looked older! Not easy to deal with! ...

And yet, while I still feel younger (16 years later), I look even older!?

Originally posted by devil5_advocate
Is there afterlife? Or do things drop where you left off? I know different religions see this differently but I would ask you guys to reply as a person with his or her own believes, not including whatever your religion taught you unless you absolutey believe that that is true. :smile:

Let's use a little of logic to analyse the situation.

Death is absense (or end) of life, right? That is what we call death (definition of death).

So, is there life in the absense of life? Nope.

Just by definition.

maybe there is a after life
but it maynot be ruled by your christian god
some aztec god may ask how many POW
you killed for him to insure the sunrize!

or budda may ask what you deserve to go back as!

1. What is the meaning of "Second chance at life, or is it?"

The phrase "Second chance at life, or is it?" refers to the concept of being given another opportunity to live or experience something, but questioning if it is truly a new chance or just a continuation of the previous one.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the concept of a "second chance" in life?

There is no concrete scientific evidence for the concept of a "second chance" in life. However, there are studies that suggest certain actions or choices can lead to positive changes and new opportunities, giving the illusion of a "second chance."

3. Can a person truly start over and have a completely new life?

From a scientific perspective, it is not possible for a person to completely start over and have a completely new life. Every experience and choice we make shapes who we are, and it is not possible to erase those experiences and start from scratch.

4. What factors contribute to a person being given a "second chance" in life?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it can depend on individual circumstances. However, factors such as making positive changes, being open to new opportunities, and having a support system can increase the likelihood of being given a "second chance" in life.

5. Can people actively choose to have a "second chance" in life?

Yes, people can actively make changes and choices that can lead to a perceived "second chance" in life. However, it is important to recognize that this may not always be possible or guaranteed, and it is important to also accept and learn from past experiences.