1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Derivative Test

1. Aug 9, 2013 #1
    Under what conditions on the constants a and b does the second derivative test guarantee that the function

g(x,y,z)=ax^2+2axz+by^2-2byz+z^2

has a local maximum at (0,0,0)? a local minimum at (0,0,0)?

well, i used the Hessian matrix to compute the eigenvalues to set them above zero. but the computation is so complicated that i used Mathematica to solve them and it turned out to be some messy stuff. i was convinced that this is not the way to do it. but then how?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2013 #2
    [STRIKE]Just looking at the problem makes me want to try Lagrange multipliers.[/STRIKE]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Aug 9, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Won't work here.

They ask about the second derivative test, so you'll need to calculate the Hessian. It's what they ask for.

5. Aug 9, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you try to set the eigenvalues to zero? The Hessian is positive-definite if all the eigenvalues are > 0 (so the origin is a global minimum---not just local!)

The Hessian cannot be negative-definite, so the origin cannot be a local maximum. (Note: a matrix A is negative-definite if and only if its negative B = -A is positive-definite, and since B(3,3) = -2 < 0, B cannot be positive-definite---no fancy tests needed here!)

To test for positive-definiteness of the Hessian H, just perform Cholesky decomposition; see, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesky_decomposition . The Cholesky algorithm is easy to carry out in this case.

6. Aug 10, 2013 #5
    thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted