• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Second derivative

• Thread starter Robokapp
  • Start date
I am Calculus AB student. I know how to find first derivative, second derivative, prove points of inflecition, find concavity...but as I just finnished the last section of chapter 4 and chapter 5 is Integrals, I still have one question that remains unanswered: Why is it important to find concavity? I know that f"(x) lets you find accelelration fro distance, and Jerk from speed, but why do I care that a function is concave up from (-inf, -2) Reunited with (4, inf) ? is it going to make any application that will be needed for? Everything I studied so far made mo reference to concavity.

Critical points that give the mins and maxes in first derivative...those are useful. but my question stays: What is concavity and Inflection points important for?

Answers and Replies

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After you find the mins and maxs with the first derivitive, you use the 2nd derivitive (concavity) to determine if a point is a max or a min. Concave up implies a max, concave down implies a min.

Integral said:
After you find the mins and maxs with the first derivitive, you use the 2nd derivitive (concavity) to determine if a point is a max or a min. Concave up implies a max, concave down implies a min.
Don't you do that by looking at the sign changes in f'(x) and if it comes from - to + it's a min, and from + to - it's a max? That's how I learned it.