Geometric Interpretation of Second Derivative

In summary, the second derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of the derivative. It can be visually interpreted as the curvature or concavity of a curve at a specific point. A positive second derivative indicates a curve that is concave upwards, while a negative second derivative indicates a curve that is concave downwards. The second derivative can also be used to determine the inflection points of a curve, which are points where the concavity changes. This geometric interpretation of the second derivative is useful in understanding the behavior of functions and analyzing them in various mathematical applications.
sutupidmath
I would like someone to tell me what is the geometric interpretation of the second derivative at a fixed point, or in an interval??

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's positive on an interval, the function is convex there; if it's negative, the function is concave.

Second derivative is the rate of change of the derivative, i.e "how fast is the gradient changing?".
Say the second derivative is 1 at point A and 2 at point B on the same function. Then the gradient (the derivative) is changing faster at point A than point B.

it measures curvature, or concavity, tells whether it is up or down, and how sharply.

it also determines whether the tangent line is above or below the graph.

Last edited:
http://online.math.uh.edu/Math1314/index.htm

See section 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess i already knew this,just did not actually think about it.
However, if this is what i was looking for, i will see later when i think more about it, and if i still have problems i will come back.

Thankyou guys, for giving me some flash back

What is the geometric interpretation of the second derivative?

The second derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the slope of the function. It can be thought of as the curvature or concavity of the function at a specific point.

How is the second derivative related to the first derivative?

The first derivative tells us the rate of change of a function, while the second derivative tells us the rate of change of the first derivative. In other words, the second derivative is the derivative of the derivative.

What does a positive second derivative indicate?

A positive second derivative indicates that the slope of the function is increasing, or that the function is concave up. This means that the function is curving upwards and has a minimum point at that specific point.

What does a negative second derivative indicate?

A negative second derivative indicates that the slope of the function is decreasing, or that the function is concave down. This means that the function is curving downwards and has a maximum point at that specific point.

How can the second derivative be used to find inflection points?

An inflection point is a point where the concavity of the function changes. This occurs when the second derivative changes sign from positive to negative or vice versa. So, by finding the points where the second derivative is equal to zero, we can determine the inflection points of a function.