Understanding the Second Derivative: Solving a Challenging Calculus Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the second derivative of an integral with a changing limit and variable substitutions. The conversation mentions using the fundamental theorem of calculus and differentiating twice to solve the problem. The poster also references a helpful resource and expresses gratitude for the assistance.
mateomy
Second derivative...

Homework Statement

Okay, this is a rough one for me. It was a question I got on my test, and (obviouslly) didnt get right. I am studying all my old exams for my final in 2 days and this is the last of the problems that I can't wrap my head around...any help would be greatly appreciated.

[tex]
\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \int_0^{x}\,(\Big\,\int_1^{sint}\sqrt{1+u^2}\,du)\Big\,dt
[/tex]

I know, through the fundamental theorem of calculus that I can just replace (so to speak) the 't' in 'sint' to a 'sinx'. and then replace the [itex]u^2[/itex] with 'sinx'. I think that's it for the first part, then I think to find the second derivative I just derive it again? I dunno...Im seriously lost; all those parenthesis and variable changes are throwing me off. I am not necessarily looking for an answer (although that would definitely help), more so just looking for some direction. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

reading through this should help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign

so start by differentiating once, and only term from the x in the limit will contribute

if it helps consider it as:
[tex]I(x) = \int_0^{x} g(t) dt[/tex]

where
[tex]g(t) = \int_1^{sint}\sqrt{1+u^2} du[/tex]

then you will need to think about the 2nd differentiation step

Last edited:

Sweet. Got it, solved it, psyched on it. Thank you very much for the direction.

cool

1. What is the second derivative?

The second derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to describe the rate of change of a function's slope. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the function's first derivative.

2. Why is understanding the second derivative important?

Understanding the second derivative allows for a deeper understanding of a function's behavior. It can help determine the concavity and inflection points of a function, as well as the maximum and minimum values.

3. How do you calculate the second derivative?

To calculate the second derivative, you take the derivative of the first derivative. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

4. What is a challenging calculus problem involving the second derivative?

A challenging calculus problem involving the second derivative may involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the point of inflection, or finding the concavity of a function.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the second derivative?

To improve your understanding of the second derivative, it is important to practice solving problems that involve using it. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or consult with a math tutor for assistance.