Second Derivative of 3x^5 - 5x^3: Inflection Points

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a PDF involving a function and its second derivative. The question involves finding inflection points, and the speaker shares their computation and the answer given in the PDF. They question whether the answer given is a mistake or if they have overlooked something. Another participant confirms the speaker's calculation and notes that there are other mistakes in the PDF, including the derivative of ln(..) being incorrect. The speaker thanks the participant and asks for any other mistakes or if there is a list of errata available online.
Rasalhague
http://www.math.northwestern.edu/courses/placement/220_Self_Placement.pdf

Question 7 here involves a function with the rule f(x) = 3x5-5x3. I computed the 2nd derivative as f''(x) = 60x3-30x (Mathematica agrees.), giving inflection points for f at -1/sqrt(2), 0, 1/sqrt(2). But the answer given in the PDF is 4x(4x2 - 3), whence they conclude the inflection points are -sqrt(3)/2, 0, sqrt(3)/2. Is this a mistake, or have I overlooked something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, and that is btw not the only mistake in that pdf.

Thanks for confirming that, Norwegian. Could you tell me any others, or do you know if there's a list of errata anywhere online?

1d, derivative of ln(..) seems wrong, probably more mistakes too

Oh yes, wow, so it is! The derivative of ln(2t3-1) is 6t2/(2t3-1), not 6t2/(ln(2t3-1)). When I was checking my answers for those simple ones at the beginning and saw they had something slightly different for 1d, I just assumed it was a typo on my part and didn't look that closely.

1. What is a second derivative?

A second derivative is the rate of change of the first derivative. In other words, it is the rate at which the slope of a function is changing.

2. How do you find the second derivative of a function?

To find the second derivative of a function, you first need to find the first derivative. Then, take the derivative of the first derivative using the rules of differentiation.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in calculus?

The second derivative is used to find the inflection points of a function, which are points where the concavity of the graph changes. It can also be used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. How do you determine the inflection points of a function using the second derivative?

To determine the inflection points, you need to set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The x-values that satisfy this equation are the inflection points.

5. Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. These are points where the concavity of the graph changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa.