Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second differential equations

1. Jan 1, 2004 #1
    will you please help
    v" + ë^2v = [-WL/(2EI)]x + [W/(2EI)]x^2
    where ë^2= PE/I
    P, E, I, W are constants;
    how will the general solution of this equation be
    v(x)=Acosëx + Bsinëx + (W/2P)*((x^2)-Lx-2/ë^2)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a linear, non-homogeneous, differential equation with constant coefficients. A standard way of solving these is to first look at the corresponding homogeneous equation. In this case that is
    v" + ë2v = 0. Such equations typically have exponential (or related)solutions. If you try v= ekx here, v'= k ekx and v"= k2ekx so the equation becomes (k2e+ ë2)ekx= 0. Since an exponential is never 0, we must have k2+ ë2= 0. The solutions to that equation are k= ëi and -ëi. Two independent solutions to the differential equation are eëix and e-ëix but it is simpler to use eëix= cos(ëx)+ i sin(ëx).
    The general solution to the homogeneous equation is
    v(x)= C1cos(ëx)+ C2 sin(ëx).

Now "look for" a solution to the entire equation- Since the "right hand side", [-WL/(2EI)]x + [W/(2EI)]x2, is a quadratic, try a solution of the form v(x)= Ax2+ Bx+ C. v'= 2Ax+ B and v"= 2A. The equation becomes 2A+ ë2(Ax2+ Bx+ C)= ë2Ax2+ ë2Bx+ 2A+ ë2C= [-WL/(2EI)]x + [W/(2EI)]x2. Equating coefficients of like powers, ë2A= W/(2EI), ë2B= -WL/(2EI), and 2A+ ë2C= 0.

After solving for A, B, C, add that to the solution to the homogeneous equation: v(x)= C1cos(ëx)+ C2 sin(ëx)+ Ax2+ Bx+ C, the solution you give.

Solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients is covered in any basic text on differential equations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?