1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Differential

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y(x) = exp (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex]) x[tex]^{2}[/tex])

Find the y"(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

y'(x) = (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex]) 2x) exp (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex]) x[tex]^{2}[/tex])

y"(x) = (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/t[/tex])) exp (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex]) x[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (([tex]ms/4t^{2}[/tex])4x[tex]^{2}[/tex]) exp (-([tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex]) x[tex]^{2}[/tex])

This is correct? Sorry if it looks a bit messy... Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2
    Could you please try to clean up the equation of the problem a little bit? Just for clarification.

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3
    I hope that makes it easier.

5. Aug 25, 2010 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't see any that yet.

I think Jorge's point is, contrary to what many students imagine, there is no virtue in complicated-looking expressions, in carrying through all unnecessary complication in a problem until, maybe at the end, it matters. You have, if y'(x) means dy/dx, a function of ( x2 multiplied by a constant). You don't need to know how the constant is made up of this, that and the other when you differentiate. So just call it a. Or you can call it -a. Then you can see what you are doing easier and make fewer mistakes.

As you go through phys and math you will see all the time where where where. I.e. w = some function of, say, [au + sin2(bv)] where a and b each = some other jumble of constants stuff (sometimes quite complicated stuff, like 'where a is the solution of this horrible equation' - something you could never carry through with everything explicit all the time). At the end of a calculation you might need to unravel or put back what is in the a and b to see how, e.g. a physical behaviour depends on the parameters inside them.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. Aug 25, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Excellent point. After all, [tex]\sqrt{ms}/2t[/tex] is just a constant as far as differentiation with respect to x is concerned.

BTW, you (the OP) are trying to find the second derivative, not the second differential. Also, this is hardly a precalculus problem.

7. Aug 26, 2010 #6
    Thank you for the advice.

@Mark44: sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook