1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second force problem

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    Can somebody please check my work? Any and all help is certainly appreciated!

F=ma is used

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi phunphysics2 ! :smile:

your magnitude is correct, i'm not sure about your direction since i can't see which way you're measuring it :confused:

(but you need to write it out much better than this if you're going to pass an exam :redface:)

(and i don't understand how you managed to draw a diagram of this without any arrows in it)

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your response
    1. The box is accelerating COMPLETELY to the right. I did not draw in the arrow at 0 degrees but it is noted in the problem
    2. I used the standard xy plane for this problem. Origin is in the middle of the box and the arrow Q rests along the 90 degree mark.

The box that I drew was given to us as a picture in the problem

Is the vector notation correct?

p.s. I am a 2nd year English major taking calc-engineering physics. Scored 5% higher than the average in class, which was a passing grade :wink:

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi phunphysics2! :smile:
    so j is up

then your second force must have negative j :wink:
    you can either write everything in a continuous string of maths,

or you can write it out as a piece of english

but not as a disjointed collage :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook