So j is up, negative j for second force?

• Thread starter phunphysics2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving F=ma and the correct use of vector notation. The person asking for help is an English major and scored above average in their physics class. The conversation emphasizes the importance of clear and organized writing in solving physics problems.
phunphysics2
Can somebody please check my work? Any and all help is certainly appreciated!

F=ma is used

Attachments

• second force work.jpg
    second force work.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 317
  • second force problem.png
    second force problem.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
hi phunphysics2 ! :smile:

your magnitude is correct, I'm not sure about your direction since i can't see which way you're measuring it :confused:

(but you need to write it out much better than this if you're going to pass an exam :redface:)

(and i don't understand how you managed to draw a diagram of this without any arrows in it)

Thanks for your response
1. The box is accelerating COMPLETELY to the right. I did not draw in the arrow at 0 degrees but it is noted in the problem
2. I used the standard xy plane for this problem. Origin is in the middle of the box and the arrow Q rests along the 90 degree mark.

The box that I drew was given to us as a picture in the problem

Is the vector notation correct?p.s. I am a 2nd year English major taking calc-engineering physics. Scored 5% higher than the average in class, which was a passing grade :wink:

hi phunphysics2! :smile:
phunphysics2 said:
2. I used the standard xy plane for this problem.

Is the vector notation correct?

so j is up

then your second force must have negative j :wink:
p.s. I am a 2nd year English major taking calc-engineering physics. Scored 5% higher than the average in class, which was a passing grade :wink:

you can either write everything in a continuous string of maths,

or you can write it out as a piece of english

but not as a disjointed collage :wink:

to calculate the force acting on an object. The letter "j" is typically used to represent force, so when we say "j is up," it means that the force is acting in the upward direction. The negative sign indicates the direction of the force, with a negative value indicating that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive value. So in this case, negative j for the second force means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the first force. It is important to pay attention to the signs in order to accurately represent the direction of the forces involved in a system. As for checking your work, it would be helpful to provide more context or information about the problem in order for someone to accurately check your work.

What is the "Second Force Problem"?

The "Second Force Problem" refers to the issue of reconciling the existence of a second force acting on an object with Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is the "Second Force Problem" important?

The "Second Force Problem" is important because it challenges our understanding of how objects behave and interact with each other. It also has implications in the laws of physics and can impact our ability to accurately predict and explain the motion of objects.

What are some possible explanations for the "Second Force Problem"?

Some possible explanations for the "Second Force Problem" include the presence of hidden or undetectable forces, errors in measurement or experimental design, and limitations in our current understanding of physics.

How do scientists approach the "Second Force Problem"?

Scientists approach the "Second Force Problem" by conducting experiments and observations to gather data, analyzing the data using mathematical models and theories, and continuously testing and refining these models to better understand the phenomenon.

What are the implications of solving the "Second Force Problem"?

Solving the "Second Force Problem" would have significant implications in the field of physics, as it would provide a deeper understanding of how forces and motion work. It could also lead to advancements in technology and help us better predict and control the behavior of objects in various situations.