AIK, this is the best I can do for you.

In summary: AIK is questioning whether a more efficient engine than Carnot's engine can exist. In summary, Carnot's postulate states that no engine can solely transfer heat from a cold body to a hot body. This means that work must be done from the surroundings and Carnot's hypothetical device can function as both an engine and a refrigerator. If someone claims to have a more efficient engine than Carnot's, this would imply that the work input is greater than what Carnot's engine produces and the heat rejection is less. However, if we run Carnot's engine in reverse as a refrigerator, it would require less work input than the claimed engine, violating the first law of thermodynamics. This analysis proves that no engine can be more efficient than
AAMAIK
Carnot's postulate: one cannot build an engine whose sole effect is to transfer heat from a cold body to a hot body. How granted this postulate can I prove that no engine beats Carnot's engine?
From this postulate, I can conclude that work must be done from the surroundings and that Carnot's hypothetical device can run as both an engine/refrigerator.
I have a Carnot engine which takes QH calories, delivers W1 calories in work, and rejects QL1. Someone claims to have an engine with better efficiency than that of Carnot's engine, this implies that for the same heat input
W2>W1 and QL2<QL1
If I run Carnot's' engine backward, the refrigerator requires W1 calories of work input, to reject QH Calories to the high-temperature reservoir. The two devices are connected such that the work input to Carnot's refrigerator is satisfied. But in doing so I am violating the first law If I define my system to be Carnot's' refrigerator because I am supplying more work than it needs. Also If I define my system to be the two devices altogether excluding the temperature I will violate both the 1st law of thermodynamics and the postulate.
So is my analysis generic and correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi AAMAIK

If I understand your question correctly, you want to prove that no heat engine operating between two reservoirs at temperatures Th > Tc respectively, will perform more efficiently than a Carnot engine relying only on the premise that the Carnot's postulate is correct: that you cannot build an engine whose sole effect is to transfer heat from a cold body to a hot body.

IF I follow your answer correctly, you are suggesting doing this:

Assume you have a heat engine that is more efficient than a Carnot. You run it for one (or several) cycle(s) and store the work as, say, gravitational potential energy and then use that energy to perform work on a Carnot refrigerator between the same reservoirs (i.e. Carnot engine cycle run backward).

Since your engine it is more efficient than the Carnot engine, this means that: for the same amount of heat flow from the hot to the cold reservoir, you have produced more work and, therefore, have stored more gravitational potential energy than a Carnot engine would have produced.

Since a Carnot refrigerator would be able to return that same amount of heat flow back to the hot reservoir using only the energy that a Carnot engine would have produced (which is less than the amount that your engine produced), you will be able to transfer more heat flow back to the hot reservoir than flowed out of the hot reservoir in your heat engine's forward cycle(s). So, the result is a device (combination) whose sole effect is to cause a net flow of heat from cold to hot, which violates your premise.

In other words, if your engine was more efficient that a Carnot engine you could have it running a Carnot refrigerator between the same two reservoirs with the net result that more heat would be transferred from the cold to the hot reservoir than your engine transfers from the hot to the cold reservoir.

If that is what you are saying, then your proof would be correct.

AM

Last edited:
Likes AAMAIK

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any isolated system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. This means that energy will always flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, resulting in a decrease in usable energy.

2. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

The second law of thermodynamics is evident in many aspects of everyday life, such as the cooling of a hot cup of coffee, the rusting of metal, and the decay of organic matter. These processes all demonstrate the natural tendency for energy to disperse and become less organized.

3. Can the second law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. While it is possible to decrease entropy in a localized system, the overall entropy of the universe will always increase.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The second law of thermodynamics does not contradict the principle of energy conservation, but rather explains how energy is constantly being transformed and dispersed in the universe. While the total amount of energy remains constant, the usable energy decreases over time due to the increase in entropy.

5. What is the significance of the second law of thermodynamics in the study of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in the study of thermodynamics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of energy in systems. It helps explain why certain processes are irreversible and provides a framework for understanding the efficiency of energy transformations.