Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Life

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    I thought this internet application created by Linden Lab was interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_life

http://secondlife.com/

It takes the idea of a video game to an extreme. Video games normally either capture some specific portion of real life (i.e. life car-racing, or war, or airplane flying) really well or try to introduce like a complete fantasy world. "Second Life" attempts to reproduce the entirety of the real world in a video game with little embellishment or anything. This has been done before in games like "The Sims", but I think the scale on which "Second Life" tries to capture normal human life is new.

People are using Second Life to actually replace real-world interaction. For example, businesses are holding meetings in the Second Life virtual world, educators are having classes there, etc. I'm sure they save tons of money doing that.

It allows people to create an identity as a character in a virtual environment. For people who are physically handicapped, this might be an amazing opportunity for them to experience normal lives.

But, there are really a lot of philosophical issues involved. Should we be worried about people getting so absorbed into their "second life" that they forget about their "first life" in the real world? I don't know whether I should be scared of Second Life or consider a innovative and beneficial use of technology and the internet. There is always the Matrix scenario lurking in the back of my mind...I am not really sure whether Second Life is a step towards that or not.

There are also some interesting economic issues this raises. Apparently, people are making transactions on Second Life and converting that to real world money at "several thriving online Linden dollar exchanges". I would be interested to learn more about how that works.

Does anyone here have a "Second Life" account? What do people think of this?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Professionals use services like Centra to hold virtual meetings and virtual classroom teaching. I'm on a session right now.

I can't imagine anyone serious using a game.

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Er, I wouldn't quite say that Second Life tries to capture normal human life. It sounds like you've been mostly reading Linden Labs promotional materials.

It's a nifty idea and particularly the way that it was the first online environment, years and years ago, to develop its own internal economy is interesting. Though I am prone to wonder how that economy is holding up at the moment.

Most of the parts of it I've been to have been pretty much deserted and not especially interesting. I'm just not interested in attending concerts or anything like that in this fashion - I like interacting with people the old-fashioned way, through text on a forum. :biggrin:

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I uploaded it some time ago to check out the online universities e.g. MIT - type Massachusetts Institute of Technology not MIT. Pretty impressive however no one was there.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know some people who use it, but when I tried it kept crashing on me, and I didn't really know what to do. I tried wandering around, but couldn't really figure out how anything worked. So, once it crashed enough times, I just uninstalled it and moved on with my first life.

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. You wander around until it crashes.

9. Nov 21, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, okay. How is that different from my first life then? :uhh:

10. Nov 21, 2008 #9
    [​IMG]

11. Nov 21, 2008 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

I still have my Ak-47 and my tank and my harley stashed somewhere in Second Life.. haven't logged in in years though

12. Nov 21, 2008 #11
    Two lives? You people are aiming too low.

13. Nov 21, 2008 #12
    You use Centra? That's where my online school has classes and lectures :biggrin:.

14. Nov 21, 2008 #13
    The way I discovered Second Life was at a web developers presentation today where this guy gave us a tour of his virtual house and the island that it was built on. What was really funny was that he wanted to show us something on the other side of the island so he was like "should I fly there or should I teleport there?" and then he decided to fly there since that was more interesting. However, he got lost flying there and we all watched him fly around the island several times trying to figure out where he was. And then he was like cursing himself for not just teleporting there. I thought it was hilarious.

15. Nov 21, 2008 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, all of the major companies use it. It's very user friendly and is reliable. Some of our smaller vendors use other applications for live presentations, but Centra seems to be a top choice. We use it for all of our training.

16. Nov 22, 2008 #15
    Really? We all think that its glitchy and terrible :biggrin:.

17. Dec 6, 2008 #16
  18. Dec 7, 2008 #17
    Until it can feed me, keep me warm, and change my diapers, I doubt I will forget my first life. There are too many things to list that Second Life does not replace. But I do frequently ponder what virtual life will be like in a thousand years and beyond. The Matrix plotted machines taking over the world by force. Yet force might not be needed. Just how toxic a virtual existence could be is yet to be gauged.

19. Dec 7, 2008 #18
    Looks rather pointless and boring to me. I could only play the Sims game for a few days before I felt like I wasted my first life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?