Second major: Math or Physics?

In summary, a math major will require more proof intensive classes, while a physics major won't require any math classes beyond what is required for an Electrical Engineering degree.
Wicketer
Hey guys.

I need physicsforums to help me make a decision.

It's been a semester in college since I started my Electrical Engineering degree. I think I'd really love to major in something like Physics or Math alongside my current degree. The obvious question is which one...

I love physics and I love conceptualizing everything to fully understand ideas. On the other hand I've always loved building mathematical models and learning more about those that already exist. I personally dislike the formal proofs and rather just play around with the math to get where I want to.

After taking the first math and physics courses at university I realize that they actually do require slightly different skills. The problem as that these realizations aren't as amplified as they could be. Anyone more experienced could tell me what kind of skills would be required out of a Math major vs a physics major.

apologies if this topic has been done and established.

Physics news on Phys.org
A math major is going to require many proof intensive classes. You could do a math minor and take some more classes on de's and modeling.

A physics major, isn't going to require much more, if any, actual math classes than your EE. My physics track and EE track have the exact same math requirements. I'm taking extra math courses, but they're not required. The physics classes are obviously math intensive though. My mechanics class has 2 books, 1: analytical mechanics, 2: calculus of variations. So might as well be a math class. Some of the physics classes will overlap with EE and help you conceptualize, others wont.

Wicketer said:
I personally dislike the formal proofs and rather just play around with the math to get where I want to.

I guess this is physics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

If your school has an "applied math" track, study that. Otherwise stay far away from math if you don't like formal proofs!

What's your career goal?

Well, if you really dislike formal proof, then I doubt that you will like mathematics very much. I'd say go for physics :smile:

Thanks a lot guys! I guess with math I just want a more theoretical background as opposed to EE which I'm guessing gets really hands-on and practical in later years.

lisab said:
What's your career goal?

My career goals only go as far as my decision to do EE; something to do with electronics/technology. But I guess for math/physics, it's really just out of interest, and just in case I stumble into a company that rather employ me for my math/physics skills. Like I wouldn't want physics to be a mere extension of EE (in terms of skill-sets), but I want to learn new analytical skills instead.

1. What are the differences between a major in Math and a major in Physics?

A major in Math focuses on abstract concepts and theories, while a major in Physics deals with the application of these concepts to the physical world. Math majors often take courses in algebra, calculus, and geometry, while Physics majors take courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Is one major more difficult than the other?

This is subjective and depends on the individual student. Both Math and Physics require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and both can be challenging for different reasons. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. What career opportunities are available with a major in Math or Physics?

Both majors can lead to a wide range of career opportunities. Math majors may pursue careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, or teaching. Physics majors may go into fields such as engineering, research, or academia. Both majors also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in related fields.

4. Can I double major in Math and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Math and Physics. However, it may require careful planning and time management, as both majors have a heavy course load. It is important to consult with an advisor to ensure that all requirements can be met.

5. How can I determine which major is right for me?

Ultimately, the best way to determine which major is right for you is to explore your interests and strengths. Consider taking introductory courses in both subjects to get a feel for the material and talk to professors or current students in each major. It is also helpful to research potential career paths and see which aligns more with your goals and values.