Second moment of area

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second moment of area about the vertical axis for a cross-section of a rectangular shape with a cut-out circle. The question is how to approach this calculation, with one web page suggesting an integral and another suggesting using the center of mass. The photo attached to the conversation is similar to the described shape, but with the circle closer to the right side of the rectangle. The question is clarified to be about finding the second moment of area about the vertical axis, and the suggestion is made to integrate x^2dydx and take it about the x coordinate of the mass center.
jiboom
Find the second moment of area about the vertical axis for the cross-section of the follwing shape.

i can't get the pic to paste so will describe it:

it is a rectangle of horizontal length 8 and vertical height 6.

if we let (0,0) be at the lhs bottom corner, then a circle has been cut out with
centre at (5,3)

i have no idea how to go about this. one web page says i need integral y^2dxdy another just used the c of mass of one shape and the other shape (was L shape). (so here i would need com of rectangle- com circle)

any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, does the photo look like the one I attached?

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 389
mishek said:
Hello, does the photo look like the one I attached?

almost, the picture i have has the circle more towards the rhs of the rectangle.

So, what is the question? What are you trying to find, the center of mass of the object?

You don't give the radius for the circle.
For the second moment about a vertical axis, don't you need to integrate x2dydx? And you might want that taken about the x coordinate of the mass centre.

HallsofIvy said:
So, what is the question? What are you trying to find, the center of mass of the object?

as in my first post, i am trying to find the second moment of area about the vertical axis

What is the Second Moment of Area?

The Second Moment of Area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a geometric property of a cross-section that measures its resistance to bending. It is a crucial parameter in structural engineering and mechanics.

How is the Second Moment of Area calculated?

The Second Moment of Area is calculated by multiplying the area of a cross-section by the square of its distance from a chosen axis. It is usually denoted by the symbol I and has units of length to the fourth power (e.g. m^4).

What is the significance of the Second Moment of Area?

The Second Moment of Area is a measure of an object's ability to resist bending or buckling. It is used in structural analysis and design to determine the strength and stiffness of beams, columns, and other structural members.

How does the Second Moment of Area affect an object's stability?

The Second Moment of Area is directly related to an object's stability. The higher the Second Moment of Area, the greater the resistance to bending forces, thus increasing stability. This is why objects with larger cross-sectional areas are more stable than those with smaller cross-sectional areas.

Can the Second Moment of Area be changed?

Yes, the Second Moment of Area can be changed by altering the shape or size of a cross-section. For example, increasing the depth or width of a beam will increase its Second Moment of Area and thus increase its resistance to bending. Additionally, certain materials, such as composites or reinforced concrete, can also affect the Second Moment of Area.