1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second moment of area

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    Find the second moment of area about the vertical axis for the cross-section of the follwing shape.

i cant get the pic to paste so will describe it:

it is a rectangle of horizontal length 8 and vertical height 6.

if we let (0,0) be at the lhs bottom corner, then a circle has been cut out with
    centre at (5,3)

i have no idea how to go about this. one web page says i need integral y^2dxdy another just used the c of mass of one shape and the other shape (was L shape). (so here i would need com of rectangle- com circle)

any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2
    Hello, does the photo look like the one I attached?

Attached Files:

• Pic.jpg
      Pic.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    almost, the picture i have has the circle more towards the rhs of the rectangle.

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So, what is the question? What are you trying to find, the center of mass of the object?

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't give the radius for the circle.
    For the second moment about a vertical axis, don't you need to integrate x2dydx? And you might want that taken about the x coordinate of the mass centre.

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6
    as in my first post, i am trying to find the second moment of area about the vertical axis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted