Calculating Second Moment of Aria for Hollow Square Beams

• Thread starter a5hl3yi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, to calculate the second moment of area for a hollow square beam, you can either subtract the second moment of area for the inner square from the second moment of area for the outer square, or you can calculate the second moment of area for the entire outer square and subtract the second moment of area for the inner square from that.
a5hl3yi
Question:

How do you work out the second moment of aria for a hollow square beam?

Attempt:

I have looked over my notes and it says how to get the second moment of aria for all beams but a hollow square one. It has I beam, Circulare beams, Rectangular...

How do you go about working it out for a hollow square beam?

Attachments

• shtsrhrs.png
    shtsrhrs.png
    589 bytes · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you just take the area moment of a solid square 100mm a side and subtract off the inside.

thanx.

So does that mean I would work out (100mm x 100mm) - (70mm x 70mm) and us that as the aria in the formula or work out the Moment of aria for the 100mm x 100mm and take off the moment of aria for a 70mmx70mm square?

Last edited:

What is the Second Moment of Aria?

The Second Moment of Aria, also known as the "Moment of Inertia", is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational acceleration. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the Second Moment of Aria used in science?

The Second Moment of Aria is used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to analyze the rotational motion of objects. It is an important factor in determining the stability and strength of structures, as well as predicting the behavior of objects under rotational forces.

What is the equation for calculating the Second Moment of Aria?

The equation for calculating the Second Moment of Aria is I = ∫r²dm, where I represents the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element. This equation can be used for both continuous and discrete objects.

How does the shape of an object affect its Second Moment of Aria?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its Second Moment of Aria. Objects with a larger radius of gyration (distance from the axis of rotation to the mass) will have a higher moment of inertia, making them more resistant to rotational acceleration. Objects with a more compact shape will have a lower moment of inertia.

What are some real-world applications of the Second Moment of Aria?

The Second Moment of Aria is used in various real-world applications, such as designing bridges, calculating the stability of buildings during earthquakes, and predicting the behavior of rotating machinery. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to analyze the rotation of athletes.