Newton's 2nd Law: Calculate Mass of Cart

In summary: The displacement with constant velocity is given by ## d = v t. ##The displacement with constant acceleration is given by ## d = at? or d = 1/2at^2?
Igniuxx6

Homework Statement

Influenced by certain force, cart moved from place and driven 0.5 meters distance. When 200grams weight was placed on cart it moved 0.3 meters during the same period of time. Calculate the mass of the cart.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, how did you tried?

Tried to get acceleration by converting grams to kilos, then dividing 0,3 meters with 0,2 kilos. Got 1,5, but I doubt its right. If 1,5 would be correct, I would just use ΣF⃗=ma⃗

Then, why do you need the acceleration? I know you want to use the Newton's second law, but there are many missing parameters to use this.

I want acceleration to get force and with Force + Acceleration I would get mass. So what I should use instead? Pretty lost,

Igniuxx6 said:
cart moved from place and driven 0.5 meters distance. When 200grams weight was placed on cart it moved 0.3 meters during the same period of time.
In this statement, I can get the velocity of cart and cart + 200grams weight, roughly. But I don't know how to get the acceleration.

How about a1=V1-V01/t a2=V2-V02/t that leads to (V1-V01)*t/t*(V2-V02), we cancel out t and we get (V1-V01)/(V2-V02), now I need to know how you get velocity of cart and cart + 200grams.

Igniuxx6 said:
Tried to get acceleration by converting grams to kilos, then dividing 0,3 meters with 0,2 kilos. Got 1,5, but I doubt its right. If 1,5 would be correct, I would just use ΣF⃗=ma⃗
You know the displacements. Assuming uniform acceleration, how is the displacement related to time and the acceleration?

Displacement moves same distance each time interval

Igniuxx6 said:
Displacement moves same distance each time interval
What you means is the constant velocity. Is this problem settle down with constant acceleration or constant velocity?

You mentioned you are abble to get velocity, if you would tell me how, I (maybe) would be abble to get acceleration from there and use it to get mass.

I supposed the cart moves without acceleration, that is constant velocity. Since we know the displacement within unknown time interval ##T##, I can only tell you that the velocity is in a form ## 0.5 m / T ##.

Daeho Ro said:
I supposed the cart moves without acceleration, that is constant velocity.

The problem statement is:
Influenced by certain force, cart moved from place and driven 0.5 meters distance.
If a certain force takes place, the velocity is not constant.

Likes Daeho Ro
Igniuxx6 said:
Influenced by certain force, cart moved from place and driven 0.5 meters distance.
ehild said:
If a certain force takes place, the velocity is not constant.
I thought the certain force only acted at the initial and the cart moves freely. But, it seems you are right. My poor English sometimes confuse me.

Ok, then now I am clear.

The cart with mass ## M ## and cart + weight with mass ## M + m## moved by a fixed certain force ## F## and the displacements are ## d_1 ## and ## d_2 ##, respectively.

That is true now.
But this is Igniuxx6's thread. Do not confuse him, and do not try to solve his problem. Both are against the rules of these Forums.

Likes Daeho Ro
So
m2=0,2kg
m=m1+m2
F=d1+d2/m2=0,5+0,3/0,2=4N
a=F/m2=20
m1=F/a=4/20=0,2kg
m=0,2+0,2=0,4kg

In constant acceleration, the displacement is well known and because we know the displacement, you can get the acceleration.

Igniuxx6 said:
F=d1+d2/m2=0,5+0,3/0,2=4N
This part is really strange. Why don't you check the relevant equations?

So its like a=9,8?
So it would be :
F=m*a=0,2*9,8=1,96N
m1=F/a=1,96/9,8=0,2kg
m=0,2+0,2=0,4kg?

For example, the displacement with constant velocity is given by ## d = v t. ## What about the displacement with constant acceleration?

d = at? or d = 1/2at^2

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate the mass of a cart using Newton's 2nd Law?

To calculate the mass of a cart, you will need the values for acceleration and net force acting on the cart. You can use the formula mass = net force / acceleration to find the mass of the cart.

3. What are the units for the mass in Newton's 2nd Law equation?

The units for mass in the equation mass = net force / acceleration are kilograms (kg).

4. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to any object?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to any object, regardless of its size or shape. It is a fundamental law of physics that governs the motion of all objects.

5. How does the mass of a cart affect its acceleration according to Newton's 2nd Law?

According to Newton's 2nd Law, the mass of a cart has an inverse relationship with its acceleration. This means that as the mass of the cart increases, its acceleration will decrease, and vice versa.