Second-order correlation function

In summary, the conversation is about the second-order correlation function in Quantum Optics, specifically for question 3b, 3c found in a given link. The function is defined as g^(2)(tau) = <I(t)I(t+tau)> / <I(t)><I(t+tau)>, with simplified versions for tau=0 and tau=1. There is a question regarding the time dependence in the second case, which is resolved by taking time averages. The conversation then discusses how to obtain g(t+1) from f(t).
svenvbins
Hi all,

I'm studying for my Quantum Optics exam and still have problems with the second-order correlation function.

The question concerned is question 3b, 3c etc which can be found here: http://www.arago.utwente.nl/comms/sotn/tentamendatabase/optics/qo/351500_Quantum_Optics_2010-11-03.pdf

They want to know [itex]g^{(2)}(\tau)=\frac{<I(t) I(t+\tau)>}{<I(t)><I(t+\tau)>}[/itex]

For [itex]\tau=0[/itex], this simplifies to [itex]\frac{<I(t)^2>}{<I(t)>^2}[/itex]
For [itex]\tau=1[/itex], it is [itex]\frac{I(t)I(t+1)>}{<I(t)><I(t+1)>}[/itex]

Now, I'd say that in the second case, the answer depends on time, since (take t=1) I(1) is not equal to I(2).

If anyone can help me out (especially understanding what exactly is going on) I'd be grateful!

Sven

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking time averages gets rid of the [itex]t[/itex] dependence.

Suppose [itex]f\left(t\right) = I\left(t\right)[/itex] and [itex]g\left(t\right) = I\left(t + 1\right) [/itex]. What do you have to do to the graph of [itex]f\left(t\right)[/itex] to get the graph of [itex]g\left(t\right)[/itex]?

Ah, yeah. I was a bit confused about the time average, since in some (other) cases you average over very short times (much smaller than the 1 second in this assignment, thus not deleting the time dependence :P)

To get g(t) from f(t) you'd have to move the whole graph one unit to the right.

Thanks, I think with that tip I know what should be done :)

svenvbins said:
move the whole graph one unit to the right.

How about left? :)

Ugh, yeah. That was really stupid of me :P

What is a second-order correlation function?

A second-order correlation function is a mathematical tool used in statistical physics to measure the degree of correlation between two different particles in a system. It is typically denoted as g(2) and is used to analyze the spatial and temporal relationships between particles in a system.

How is a second-order correlation function calculated?

A second-order correlation function is calculated by dividing the probability of finding two particles at a certain distance apart by the probability of finding two particles at the same distance apart in an ideal gas. This ratio is then normalized to a value of 1 for uncorrelated particles and can range from 0 to infinity for correlated particles.

What information can be obtained from a second-order correlation function?

A second-order correlation function can provide information about the spatial distribution of particles in a system, as well as the degree of correlation between particles. It can also give insight into the interactions and dynamics of the particles in the system.

What are some applications of second-order correlation functions?

Second-order correlation functions have many applications in fields such as quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and biophysics. They are used to study phenomena such as photon bunching and antibunching, phase transitions, and the dynamics of protein molecules.

How does a second-order correlation function differ from a first-order correlation function?

A first-order correlation function measures the degree of correlation between two particles at the same point in space and time, while a second-order correlation function measures the degree of correlation between two particles at different points in space and time. Additionally, a first-order correlation function is typically used for classical particles, while a second-order correlation function is used for quantum particles.