1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-order correlation function

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm studying for my Quantum Optics exam and still have problems with the second-order correlation function.

The question concerned is question 3b, 3c etc which can be found here: http://www.arago.utwente.nl/comms/sotn/tentamendatabase/optics/qo/351500_Quantum_Optics_2010-11-03.pdf [Broken]

They want to know [itex]g^{(2)}(\tau)=\frac{<I(t) I(t+\tau)>}{<I(t)><I(t+\tau)>}[/itex]

For [itex]\tau=0[/itex], this simplifies to [itex]\frac{<I(t)^2>}{<I(t)>^2}[/itex]
    For [itex]\tau=1[/itex], it is [itex]\frac{I(t)I(t+1)>}{<I(t)><I(t+1)>}[/itex]

Now, I'd say that in the second case, the answer depends on time, since (take t=1) I(1) is not equal to I(2).

If anyone can help me out (especially understanding what exactly is going on) I'd be grateful!

Sven

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taking time averages gets rid of the [itex]t[/itex] dependence.

Suppose [itex]f\left(t\right) = I\left(t\right)[/itex] and [itex]g\left(t\right) = I\left(t + 1\right) [/itex]. What do you have to do to the graph of [itex]f\left(t\right)[/itex] to get the graph of [itex]g\left(t\right)[/itex]?

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Ah, yeah. I was a bit confused about the time average, since in some (other) cases you average over very short times (much smaller than the 1 second in this assignment, thus not deleting the time dependence :P)

To get g(t) from f(t) you'd have to move the whole graph one unit to the right.

Thanks, I think with that tip I know what should be done :)

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about left? :)

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    Ugh, yeah. That was really stupid of me :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook