Second order DE model

So, in summary, the solution to the problem is that the amplitude is sqrt(5)/2 and the period is pi/2 seconds. At the end of 4 pi seconds, the weight has undergone approximately 6 revolutions. The differential equation describing the system is x(t) = (sqrt(5)/2)*sin(4t+2.034).
bishy

Homework Statement

A 32 pound weight stretches 2 feet. Determine the amplitude and period of motion if the weight is released 1 foot above the equilibrium position with an initial velocity of 2 ft/s upward. How many complete vibrations will the weight have completed at the end of 4 pi seconds?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the solution I have come up with:

32 = 2k
k=16

x(0)=1 ft
x'(0) = -2 ft/s
m= 32/32 = 1 slug

[tex] \frac{dx^2}{d^2t} +16x = 0[/tex]

[tex] m^2+16[/tex]

solution to xc:

[tex] x(t)= A \cos{4x} + B\sin{4x}[/tex]

with initial conditions:

[tex] x(t) = \cos{4x} - \frac{1}{2} \sin{4x}[/tex]

therefore amplitude= [tex] \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

and [tex] \tan{\phi} = 3[/tex]

[tex] \phi = -1.1071 + \pi = 2.034 [/tex]

so my equation for the model is

[tex] x(t) = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} \sin{(4x+2.034)}[/tex]

and I know for a complete vibration to occur I have to have [tex] 2n\pi + \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

So [tex] 48.23 = \frac{(x-6)\pi}{2}[/tex]
x is approximatly 25 which is about 6 revolutions.

in 4 pi seconds, the system has undergone approximatly 6 revolutions and the differential equation describing the system is

[tex] x(t) = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} \sin{(4x+2.034)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
In all of these the "x" variable should be "t". Other than that, I see no error or even a question!

1. What is a second order differential equation (DE) model?

A second order DE model is a type of mathematical model that describes the relationship between a variable and its rate of change. It is represented by a second order DE, which is an equation containing a second derivative of the dependent variable.

2. How is a second order DE model different from a first order DE model?

The main difference between a second order DE model and a first order DE model is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A first order DE contains only a first derivative, while a second order DE contains a second derivative in addition to the first derivative.

3. What are some real-world applications of second order DE models?

Second order DE models have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model the motion of objects in physics, the growth and decay of populations in biology, and the behavior of electrical and mechanical systems in engineering.

4. How can I solve a second order DE model?

There are several methods for solving second order DE models, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of Laplace transforms. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

5. What are the limitations of second order DE models?

While second order DE models can accurately describe many real-world phenomena, they are not always able to account for all factors and may not produce accurate predictions in all situations. Additionally, some systems may require higher order DE models to accurately represent their behavior.